PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up Vikingblu

Vikingblu
July 30th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I dont have many pics. Soon, maybe after the weekend.
Dad never installed the outside rear view mirror, due to the misplaced gasket. I find driving on the freeway difficult without the mirror.
So I made a gasket for the long base mirror and rummaged through 3 cans of chrome screws. Found two that fit well, and installed the rear view.
Next the inside rear view mirror is floppy and sags after a few minutes. So thinking about a day night for the inside.
Going to machine polish, glaze and maybe wax the hood. May just use the meguiars final inspection rather than wax. Its super easy and gives a nice luster.

Vikingblu
August 3rd, 2013, 02:22 AM
http://mob1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag101/David_McPherson/falcon11_zps5665d927.jpg
Polished and ready to go!
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag101/David_McPherson/falcon8_zpsce73ddd7.jpg

Gina K
August 3rd, 2013, 07:29 AM
What a head turner, beautiful!

Vikingblu
August 3rd, 2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks Gina. You have all set the bar very high,,, just tryIng to follow suit.:BEER:

BillP 98201
August 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Great looking round body you have there :BEER:

ew1usnr
August 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Luigi says: "Black-wall tires, they blend into the pavement, but these white-wall tires, they say look at me, here I am, LOVE me."

Vikingblu
August 5th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the likes.
w/w had yellowed slightly over time. Scrubbed them twice.:3g:

Luva65wagon
August 6th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Luigi says: "Black-wall tires, they blend into the pavement, but these white-wall tires, they say look at me, here I am, LOVE me."

Sorry Gina... :(

Gina K
August 6th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Sorry Gina... :(

It's all good, black on the outside has always been my preference!

Vikingblu
September 3rd, 2013, 02:04 AM
I am looking to repair or replace my 1963 Futura 6cyl auto, radiator. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

doghows
September 3rd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Replace it with what? V-8 swap or a bigger six or stock? Many ways you can go. I put a EFI 5.0 in mine. Patrick has a built 302 with EFI , and I think Kenny has a bigger 200 six in his. Let us know what your thinking and we can give you some tips.

Nathan289
September 3rd, 2013, 08:11 AM
Doghows,

Repair/replace radiator... though i think adding a v8 would be better too[AGREE]

doghows
September 3rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
My bad, that's what I get for not waking up before I read this stuff...

You could go stock but I upgraded to an aluminum champion radiator. Very affordable and works great...

This is probably a more appropriate response..

MacDee
September 3rd, 2013, 12:03 PM
I had a leaky 2-row radiator in my 6-cyl, so I went on-line and found a radiator supplier in Lynnwood, I believe (can't remember the name), that offered shipping. I ordered a "stock replacement" radiator and received a spanking new 3-row radiator. It was a tight fit between fan and bulkhead, but it went in! As I recall it was $100~ish.
It had a crappy pet-cock that eventually needed to be replaced... at a cost of about $65.

Luva65wagon
September 4th, 2013, 11:01 AM
...but after seeing a second Champion on Gene's spring a leak at the mini-regional I'm a bit skeptical of them (this was his second from them). So I'm in shopping mode at the moment too.

Vikingblu
September 5th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Thank you for the suggestions.

Vikingblu
September 6th, 2013, 10:20 PM
My bad, that's what I get for not waking up before I read this stuff...

Actually, I've had that dream,,,,,,V8,C4, 4 wheel discs,,,,,
I definitely have to alleviate the 58-61 mph shimmy first.

ew1usnr
September 7th, 2013, 06:50 AM
"Actually, I've had that dream,,,,,,V8,C4, 4 wheel discs,,,,,"

Here is another view:
You have a beautiful car and you can enjoy it just as it is. A 50-year old economy car will not, and should not be expected to, match the interstate-highway performance of new cars (my opinion). Keep it at 60-65 mph and your Falcon will be happy to take you anywhere you want to go. The drum brakes are fine if they are in good repair, you don't tail gate, and you keep your speed down. The 170 "Special Six" is a reliable engine that provides adequate power (Ford called it "Thriftpower"), and good fuel economy. The spark plugs are all easy to reach and the manual-choke, one-barrel carburetor is as simple as it can be and is easy to re-build if that is ever necessary.

There is nothing wrong with a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic. It does just shift one time and it seems a little odd until you just accept it. It was Ford's first automatic transmission. It was introduced in 1951 and was simplified and given an aluminum case in 1959. The gear ratios are the same as in a three-speed manual, except that the torque multiplication of the torque converter takes the place of the manual first gear. The first gear in a 1963 manual transmission was not synchronized, meaning you could not downshift into first while the car was moving. This meant that people spent most of their time shifting between second and third while moving, and the two-speed Ford-O-Matic did the same. People back then would not have noticed much performance difference between the Ford-O-Matic and the standard three-speed that they were used to. The Ford-O-Matic provided the safety feature of locking the transmission in "Park" in addition to having the parking brake, and it also made it impossible to accidently start the car while in gear and having the car lurch forward. The Ford-O-Matic was a popular option in its day and in about half the Falcons sold, people paid extra money to have a Ford-O-Matic.

"Fordomatic Drive features simplified design, light-weight cast aluminum construction, vacuum-controlled throttle valve for smoothness, minimum servicing. Torque converter in combination with compound planetary gear set. Gear ratios (no 1): Low 1.82, Direct 1.00, Reverse 1.73, Converter (Stall) 2.4. In “D: range gives brisk, smooth starts in low. Effective engine braking in “L” position. Air-cooled with 144 Six. Air and liquid cooled with 170. Selector lever and quadrant on steering column, sequence P-R-N-D-L."

Gear ratios:
Fordomatic Transmission gear ratios: 4.37*, 1.82, 1 (1963 Sixes)
3-speed manual transmission: 3.29, 1.83, 1 (1963)

*1st and torque converter. The 1963 Fordomatic has a torque converter multiplication of 2.40 (sixes) or 2.05 (V-8) when the turbine is stalled providing a maximum overall reduction of 4.37 or 3.73 when the throttle is hit hard. Stall is an operating condition where the turbine is stationary and the engine throttle is wide open, making the rotational speed of the impeller as high as possible. Stall can be approximated to when a vehicle moves from rest. Maximum torque multiplication occurs instantaneously as the vehicle begins to move.

Vikingblu
September 7th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Interesting facts. Thank you for sharing.

Back in 1977 my dad purchased this car for $1700.00 with new paint, top and carpet. About a year later the paint faded. I compounded the paint back to an nice luster. Well a year later it faded again. Grrr. About that time my oldest brother had returned from the Air Force and was chomping at the bit to work on a car. So we convinced dad to R&R the motor, chrome and paint.
My brother swapped the tired 170 with a shortblock from an exchange service, and had the head rebuilt . Dad and I pulled all of the chrome and trim, he said he knew a guy that would re chrome all the bits.
I spent two months stripping the faded paint, with a longboard and 80 grit by hand, (once down to the original paint I switched to 180) and refinishing the the body, with Ditzler acrylic laquer. 1 gallon of color and one gallon of clear. The trunk, doorjambs and underhood are still original paint. Wet sanded the clear with 600 and compounded. (34 years ago).
Dad and I reinstalled the new chrome and trim. I bought a new grille and HL surrounds from Ford for dads birthday. (I still have the original grille).

Around that same time I had purchased a 63.5 Raven Sprint project, driver, which included 8 or 9 wire hubcaps.
We cleaned them all and selected the best 4 caps and installed them. Dad preferred the wires over the smooth type. I still have those and the other four wires too.
In recent years during the nice summer days, we would take the Futura to Burgermaster in Kirkland on Saturday evenings, for burgers and shakes.
Car does need some attention , minor in nature, but should be reliable for many years to come.

ew1usnr
September 8th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Jay Leno says that sometimes he will buy an old car just because of the story that goes with it. Your story is amazing. $1700 back in 1977 would have been pretty expensive. Your Dad must have really been smitten by that car. And then you and your brother must have fallen under its spell also to be willing to put so much work into. And that was back when old Falcons were still everywhere, and most people just thought of them as old cars. And now you are still driving it and talking about what work each one of you did 34 years ago. Amazing. That is a very special car.

I love your bench seat! The second picture shows how it lets you spread out and get comfortable. Your upholstery looks great, and I can see that you have a padded dash and a lace-on steering wheel cover.

Everyone looks happy in the photos. Thanks for sharing them.

I really love Falcons. They just seem to draw and radiate happiness and good times. When people see mine, they light up and smile and say "My aunt had one!", "That was my first car!", or "My father had a beige one!".

falcon cobra
September 8th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Just got back from the xxx show, how bout a edsel, and the guy with the yellow one wants 21,000 for it . and a old buddy shows up with the cobra. he was in the oil business. [ pumped gas at the chevron station ] ....jh:WHATTHE:

Nathan289
September 8th, 2013, 07:06 PM
That yellow falcon has been for sale for years...

Does he still carry a copy of mustangs and fords that the car was in?

Nathan

Vikingblu
September 8th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Just got back from the xxx show, how bout a edsel, and the guy with the yellow one wants 21,000 for it . and a old buddy shows up with the cobra. he was in the oil business. [ pumped gas at the chevron station ] ....jh:WHATTHE:
Shucks,,,missed a good one. I tried to get there, however removing the battery tray, cleaning up the mess and installing a new battery took longer than I had anticipated.
Road test up to Lil Mountain park in south Mt Vernon via Stanwood about 5pm.

Vikingblu
September 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Jay Leno says that sometimes he will buy an old car just because of the story that goes with it. Your story is amazing. $1700 back in 1977 would have been pretty expensive. Your Dad must have really been smitten by that car. And then you and your brother must have fallen under its spell also to be willing to put so much work into. And that was back when old Falcons were still everywhere, and most people just thought of them as old cars. And now you are still driving it and talking about what work each one of you did 34 years ago. Amazing. That is a very special car.

I love your bench seat! The second picture shows how it lets you spread out and get comfortable. Your upholstery looks great, and I can see that you have a padded dash and a lace-on steering wheel cover.

Everyone looks happy in the photos. Thanks for sharing them.

I really love Falcons. They just seem to draw and radiate happiness and good times. When people see mine, they light up and smile and say "My aunt had one!", "That was my first car!", or "My father had a beige one!".

I paid 1500.00 for the Raven Sprint. I borrowed the money from my Dad. I paid him back $100.00 a month. Painting the Futura was in a way, intrest on the "loan".

Vikingblu
October 7th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Went for a drive Saturday with my daughter. I am amazed at the fuel economy of the 170. Stopped in at the Arlington Burger king where the hot rod club meets. Drove the backroads home.

Vikingblu
July 19th, 2015, 12:51 AM
Painted these pieces 35 years ago, shade was off a tad.
Better now

Vikingblu
July 19th, 2015, 12:59 AM
Top hadnt been up in probably 25 years. After spending half the day installing the fresh painted bits, I let the top soak up some rays. It was about .500" from pin /latch alignment.
Got er done. Went for a drive/supper.

Vikingblu
August 2nd, 2015, 12:15 AM

4 new 185/80/13 Maxxis, slighty over sized, and a little soft, but so much better than the VERY old Sears weatherhandlers.
Maybe a shock absorber upgrade soon as well.

Luva65wagon
August 3rd, 2015, 09:17 AM
Looking really good. Nice work! Such a clean car. [thumb]

I suspect I'll need new tires on my wagon at some point and may try to find white-walls when I do. It has 14" rims though, but these are getting just as hard to find in a white wall tire.

Vikingblu
August 3rd, 2015, 11:37 AM
Looking really good. Nice work! Such a clean car. [thumb]

I suspect I'll need new tires on my wagon at some point and may try to find white-walls when I do. It has 14" rims though, but these are getting just as hard to find in a white wall tire.

Dont give up your search, the tires are out there. They may not be exactly what you want like mine, but close. Looks are important, however driving is more important.
One of my kids said "it looks more muscle e", lol.

Luva65wagon
August 3rd, 2015, 12:27 PM
Have yet to start a search. Not really thinking about it this year. I only know from looking for 13"rs when I was shopping for the '62 Comet; the one Gina now has. Ended up going black-wall in the end.

I know there is also Coker tire, but not really sure I want to pay the premium pricing once I go there. My current tires look brand-spanking new. Even have a spare with zero miles on it. They were bought new in '97 or so and have long since expired their 10-year safety lifespan. I suspect if I have issues with one; puncture or something; no tire shop will touch them after 10 years. Maybe Guido's tire shop will. No offence to Guido.

:D

Vikingblu
July 30th, 2017, 02:28 AM
Got a new exhaust manifold. Match ported it to the gasket. Ran it over a flat table belt sander to insure the ports were flat.
Removed all the bolts and studs with NO issues, yay.
Sounds good, no leaks.

Vikingblu
July 30th, 2017, 02:34 AM
Should be able to finish up the front brakes this weekend.
Shoes, Hoses, cyls, bearings, seals.
Will spin the drums on the lathe.
Radiator, cap, belt, and hoses next.

Luva65wagon
July 30th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Got a new exhaust manifold. Match ported it to the gasket. Ran it over a flat table belt sander to insure the ports were flat.
Removed all the bolts and studs with NO issues, yay.
Sounds good, no leaks.

You mean to say that couldn't be sealed with JB Weld?
:rolleyes:

Vikingblu
July 31st, 2017, 12:55 AM
You mean to say that couldn't be sealed with JB Weld?
:rolleyes:

Oops. thought that stuff was for imports :D

finished up the shoes and stuff. cutting drums tomorrow.

Luva65wagon
July 31st, 2017, 12:00 PM
Looking good! Do you have that lift at your house?

Vikingblu
August 6th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Looking good! Do you have that lift at your house?

yes Roger.

Drums cut, new races, bearings, seals, and a quart of dot4.
Drove nice around the block.
Now on to the original issue.....the radiator.
Scott Drake $250
Fluidyne $525
Im a bit hesitant to have a radiator shipped. may just have the OG recored and soldered at Kens Radiator in Mount Vernon.
I had them rebuild the rad for my 64 Datsun NL320. Very Nice work.

Vikingblu
August 31st, 2017, 06:08 PM
Websites say it doesnt fit.....

Vikingblu
June 18th, 2018, 10:21 AM
New brass Radiator, hoses, clamps and coolant, just in time for a fathers day spin.

Vikingblu
January 12th, 2019, 10:33 PM
Got the top latched after being stowed for 40 years lol. Road test new master cyl. 120 mi.

Luva65wagon
January 16th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Looks a bit cold, but nice picture.

[AGREE]

Vikingblu
January 16th, 2019, 06:45 PM
Thanks Roger. Yes it is a bit chilly. But the heater works! And I like to take advantage of nice weather when we have it. Not much sand on the roads yet.
:shift:

Vikingblu
March 12th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Was not a fan of the black plastic wiper blades.
Looks much better imo.

dhbfaster
March 15th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Definitely [AGREE]

Luva65wagon
March 15th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Wipers? You let you car get wet!?!?
;)

Vikingblu
March 27th, 2019, 03:29 PM
It is Washington....

Found an old Polaroid from the 70’s.

Luva65wagon
March 28th, 2019, 02:29 PM
So that's what color the top will be soon?

Vikingblu
March 28th, 2019, 04:31 PM
White vinyl. To many shades of blue might look weird. Schedule postponed, due to the 2 week snow delay :(
I could be mistaken about the photo, could be after paint in 80-81, prior to the Sprint aquisition,(stock hubcaps) and the missing outside rear view mirror. No idea who took that pic with the polaroid, Maybe pops.