PDA

View Full Version : Front cowl color

BadBird
September 2nd, 2013, 12:06 AM
I have mulled over this question for a couple of years now. The front cowl where the radiator on my car attaches is yellow like the rest of the car. But, I am wondering if it wouldn't look better if I painted that area black?? Here are some pics to show both sides. I put tar paper in to simulate the black, so the fit isn't very good. Please give me your feedback. Thanks Larry

Vikingblu
September 2nd, 2013, 12:33 AM
My personal choice is black behind the grille.
However, I have never performed a frame off, or a rotisserie build.
Some tint the underbody coatings to match car color as well.
Black IMO makes the grille "pop".

ew1usnr
September 2nd, 2013, 05:07 AM
I second Vikingblu on the black behind the grill. It would highlight the grill.

What are the red and blue "TN" stickers on the left headlight?

Dennis.

doghows
September 2nd, 2013, 09:48 AM
I'd have to agree here Larry. The black looks great I did mine black to show off the aluminum radiator but I also blacked out my grill and headlight buckets.
I think it will come down to your personal preference because the yellow looks good too. :p

Jeff W
September 2nd, 2013, 09:52 AM
I'd just leave in the tar paper :ROTFLMAO:

I have always liked a black radiator support. It gives the front a more aggressive look... like it has a mouth to eat a Camaro and the like.

What does Carol think?

SmithKid
September 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
I personally like the core support done in black, but maybe that's because mine is that way.

redfalken
September 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
[AGREE] Black makes the grille pop and looks less cluttered.

Luva65wagon
September 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
Yea vote on the black. It makes the grill stand out. It should go all the way to the area behind the headlights too.

[thumb]

pbrown
September 2nd, 2013, 08:24 PM
Consider painting the front of the radiator black as well if you're going to all that trouble. Which ever way you decide, I'm sure it will look great.

Jeff W
September 2nd, 2013, 08:56 PM
I too was going to suggest painting the radiator black but wasn't sure it it was frowned upon by the hot rod group. It would look good black.

Vikingblu
September 3rd, 2013, 01:51 AM
I'd just leave in the tar paper :ROTFLMAO:

Not a bad idea actually. Could fab removable panels of ABS or carbon fiber.
Drill a few holes :WHATTHE:, and install a few of these

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Splash_Shield_Fascia_Retainers_p/pas1263-25.htm

BadBird
September 3rd, 2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone, I too like the black. You make a good point about what does Carol like Jeff!!! She is none to fond of the idea and wants to leave it alone.

Interesting thought about removeable panels. HMMMMM..........

The question about the stickers on the headlight. They are T and W for Tuesday and Wednesday when the judges in Reno judged my car. I hadn't removed them yet.

I probably will paint it all and also around the headlights and I think I'll leave the radiator aluminum. That is if Carol doesn't hide the black paint. Larry

Jeff W
September 3rd, 2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone, I too like the black. You make a good point about what does Carol like Jeff!!! She is none to fond of the idea and wants to leave it alone.

Carol probably doesn't mind the black paint. It's the thought that you will be spending MORE time in the garage instead of spending it with your lovely wife. Just a guess.

Luva65wagon
September 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I would only paint the front of the radiator and not the tank. Just what shows out the front.

And it seems to me Carol likes to talk-up the car. She's happy Larry is happy I think. Put a rattle-can in her hand, I say! [thumb]