PDA

View Full Version : Question on Headlights/taillights switch

Jim Petropulos
October 16th, 2013, 10:07 PM
On my '64 Falcon, after driving in early AM with lights on, when I shut them off my Tailights stay on unless I Open/close the light switch 3 times then they turn off.
In the PM after work I turned them on and off four times and they worked normal all 4 times.
I wondered if anyone else had this happen before?
Should I just replace the switch? I'm pretty sure it's the original switch, as far as I know. ( I've been driving my '64 for the past 35 years daily and never had this happen before.)
Can someone tell me where I might get a GOOD replacement? Would NAPA be a good place to look? Original 64 FORD Part # 11564 .
Thank you in advance for any help out there. In the meantime it's 1 -2 -3 to turn them off in the morning!! :confused:

Jim Petropulos
FCA #12126

Luva65wagon
October 17th, 2013, 11:52 AM
So we are talking tail lights and not brake lights, right? Tail lights are fed via the headlight switch, so if they are remaining on it would be more apt to be the switch. If it were brake lights I might point you to the turn-signal switch in the steering column.

You can get replacements at many locations, but I convert everything I have to '65 style to get any fuses OFF the headlight switch. Not sure if they did this in '64 as they did on the pre-64 cars. Try looking in our resources section for vendors, or going to Falconparts.com perhaps. I have a box full of headlight switches of unknown condition simply because I collect wiring for doing various repairs.

Hope this helps.

Jim Petropulos
October 18th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Hi Roger,
Yes it is the tailiights not the brake lights.
Thank you for the information where to look for a replacement.
Best regards,
Jim

Nathan289
October 19th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Roger..

Once you install the 65 switch where does the fuse block go?

Im guessing theres more parts required the just changing the switch?

Inquiring minds would like to know.. i have a 63.5 that has fuse block issues..

Luva65wagon
October 19th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Well... I guess I left out the fact I also upgraded the wiring harness too. You sort of have to to do any wiring mod. Had a few harnessws laying around and that's an easy swap [for me] too. On my '65 I added an extra fuse block beside the original on the left kick panel and fused some things not normally fused. Ranchero got a total larger fuse box replacement.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9249&postcount=291