PDA

View Full Version : Motor coming out

falcon cobra
October 29th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Well it needs to come out, and a few things to go yet like ps pump,bars on body, and oh no the headers. it will be on a stand then the fun starts to find out what the noise is. anyone want to guess? you could win a prize. hint its loud and doesn't sound good.....jh

pbrown
October 29th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Rod bearing.

Good luck John.

Jeff W
October 29th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Looks to me that the carburetor was sucked into the intake manifold. Probably rattling around in there. :ROTFLMAO:

redfalken
October 29th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Rod bearing.

Good luck John.

Specifically cylinder #4

Luva65wagon
October 30th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I still think you should'a just raced it to find out for sure. But I'll go with #1 rod bearing in the corner pocket.

falcon cobra
October 30th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I went out and abused it the other day and it only got worse, so we will see. I have a vote for # 4 and #1 rod bearing. the winner will recieve a dicks deluxe berger...wow...jh:D

Luva65wagon
October 30th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Patrick needs to be more specific then, I guess... and I think Jeff probably needs to quit his day job and go on the road. He's killing us with his comedy these days.

:p

falcon cobra
November 1st, 2013, 05:11 PM
The motor is out, what a nightmare when its done by myself, as much as one trys there is trans oil and antifreeze on the driveway. now to put it on a stand and see whats going on in there....jh:eek:

BadBird
November 1st, 2013, 05:33 PM
JH, oil and antifreeze on the driveway? Sounds like you didn't expect that. Everytime I pull the engine, (and it's been several times on this ca), I just open all the valves and ports and let it run out in the garage. Quicker that way, just get it over with, it will end up there anyway. Kidding, but it sure seems that way.

falcon cobra
November 2nd, 2013, 01:35 PM
Well the rods and pistons are out, the rod bearings don't look that good, still not sure what all the noise is yet...pulling the cam next, lifters look ok...:doh: jh

Luva65wagon
November 4th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Piston slap? Wrist pins? Time to mic it all. How bad were the rod bearings?

falcon cobra
November 4th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I don't know if you call this bad or not good and when I removed the caps the bearings fell out. I call that collapsed...it also has cast pistons not forged like mustangs have. I think I was duped by the ford motorsport guy down south when I got this crate short block...thieves wharhouse comes to mind:D..jh

Luva65wagon
November 4th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Those are wiped - no doubt. And they should not have fallen out on their own.

You should mic the crank and pistons, check the ridge - etc, hone, re-ring, regasket, rebearing - and call 'er done. You may get away with an "overhaul" as opposed to a rebuild.

falcon cobra
November 4th, 2013, 02:52 PM
It looks sad. I've been looking into a scat rotating kit for about 800. which will make it a 331ci. my buddy has the heads and will do them and bore it . and we will put it together some evening. it's only money. oh well..jh

falcon cobra
November 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
The motor is in the hot tank, and then it will be align honed,square decked & serfaced, bored, balanced and assembled 331cu.in. all for 1500. out the back door. this should last longer than the 14000 miles I got out of a FORD crate motor...jh

Luva65wagon
November 6th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Smokin' deal.

Wonder why it lasted so long before going. Knowing the way you drive and all...

:banana:

BadBird
November 6th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Good news and that is a very good price. Larry

falcon cobra
November 11th, 2013, 01:03 PM
The motor is back and all fresh. 331cu.in.:3g: oh oh now I will need traction bars for the rearend. I just need to put it together and stuff it back in the car....jh

Luva65wagon
November 11th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Having a deja vu moment...

:NERVOUS:

I did (finally) dig out that flywheel again and it is 157 tooth and 10.5" bolt distance. It's yours if you want it. As for the crank pully, will have to dig out there again to see, but I have a couple of those too. Just not sure how many grooves they have.

falcon cobra
November 11th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks man, I could come by at the end of the week. And does it run good yet?...jh:rocker:

Luva65wagon
November 12th, 2013, 03:28 PM
That'll work.

It runs, but have not been able to touch it since Saturday night. Needs some tweaking.

falcon cobra
November 13th, 2013, 03:19 PM
It's coming along, oil pump on, cam in, chain and cover on, pan on and gasket sealer and silicone all over my hands I just don't care for gloves much...may put it back in on saturday if anyone wants to come for lunch[thumb]..jh [ ps and help ]

Luva65wagon
November 13th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I've been nursing a pulled rib since this last Saturday night, which has kept me away from mine since then. Gonna try and do some small things tonight - I hope - just to see if I can get it running correctly. But if I can make it - I'd return the favor. Might be worthless though. Be sure to post a day and time for others who may be able to come too.

You gonna throw all the bits on before dropping it in? Tranny too?

falcon cobra
November 13th, 2013, 03:45 PM
A sore rib? was that from the car or from what I won't ask. no tranny on it just the motor straight down on the mounts it may take a half hour or so...jh

Luva65wagon
November 13th, 2013, 03:53 PM
After Gene left Saturday went to dinner and when I got home I yanked myself up out of my G/F's Kia Optima and almost staggered to the ground in pain. On my driveways, especially the right one, it is always a challenge holding the door open against gravity and getting up from off the ground in this car... it's so low. Anyway, it has not been right since. Have a Chiro appointment tomorrow. Hope it goes back in. It's been a painful week to say the least.

Regardless, will see what we can do on Saturday if you are ready.

SmithKid
November 14th, 2013, 11:28 AM
John, you still thinking Saturday? Sooner? Looks like I can be there for the use of the shoehorns. What time are you thinking?

falcon cobra
November 14th, 2013, 12:31 PM
No shoe horns I just use a lot of greese and it slides right in, about 10:00 am sat. will be fine. thanks gene...jh:rain:

Luva65wagon
November 14th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I'll be riding shotgun with Gene (or vicy versy). I can point fingers at the very least. And can bring over the flex plate too.

falcon cobra
November 14th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Don't forget the gurney,:D did you ever find a crank pully? now I can rest, I have a day or so to put on the manifold. thanks and see you all sat....jh

Luva65wagon
November 14th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Have yet to be home in the daylight to dig around in the shed. Will look tomorrow and bring what I have. What is on the motor now that I see in the picture?

falcon cobra
November 14th, 2013, 02:53 PM
It's ready to go in once I get the intake manifold on. can and will put headers on later, trans is at kelly's for rebuild and it will go later...jh

falcon cobra
November 16th, 2013, 12:33 PM
The install crew was here and the motor in back in. thanks to roger & gene. the crew has gone to feed the junk yard dogs, and I hope they return in one piece:rocker:..jh

falcon cobra
November 30th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Well today I turned the key today and she started right up and runs good, a few odds and ends and on to the road we go. now I can rest...jh[yay]

redfalken
November 30th, 2013, 04:40 PM
That's good news. Rebuild start ups always make me nervous! I forget how much you did. Was it a 2K rpm for 20 minutes break in?

pbrown
November 30th, 2013, 05:40 PM
That's good news. Rebuild start ups always make me nervous! I forget how much you did. Was it a 2K rpm for 20 minutes break in?

That's not required on roller cam motors.

falcon cobra
December 10th, 2013, 02:58 PM
:3g:It runs really good and if it didn't make my eyes big before it sure does now, I had 327's with the other brand and they run, so a car that weighs about 800 lb. lighter it's just great...off to the track in the spring. maybe we should have a tech day at pacific raceways...jh

Luva65wagon
December 12th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Man - I always get left behind. I'm still dealing with water leaks. Thermostat housing has to come off - again. Must be a casting flaw or something. At least now it's not 17 degress out there.

falcon cobra
December 12th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Draining the system is always fun for the umtinth time , I did that before I think. other than that how does it run? ....jh:D