PDA

View Full Version : automatic shift collar

Nathan289
May 1st, 2014, 09:09 PM
I'm looking for an automatic shift collar for a 64 Fairlane

Once again its my wife's fault.

Today I get a call from the wife that the Fairlane won't start. She's stranded at the middle school parking lot and she's late for work. I tell her all the tricks.. try starting it neutral, etc. No go she tells me.

I'm like what do you. Want me to do? I'm on a traffic stop and an hour from home.

Needless to say I left work early. Pick her up from work. Go to the car and I get in it and start it the first try.

Me being the good husband that I am. I decide to see why the steering column is loose and why the shifter doesn't line up properly.

So I take the column a part, which comes a part differently than a falcon by the way and find the blown up part of the month...

Anyone got one?

Nathan289
May 2nd, 2014, 07:22 AM
Crap she plans on driving the sprint today.

Be prepared for more parts requests:bicker:

redfalken
May 2nd, 2014, 06:40 PM
Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Got me stranded at a 7-11 and took awhile to figure out what was going on. I actually got one from Amazon. It was a "Dorman #83242 Gear Shift Collar" and came in bare aluminum that I painted black. Might want to search for one of these. It seemed like pretty nice quality and was pretty cheap. Maybe $20?? You can also Google D5TZ 7228-A and see if you can find NOS.

They are a PITA to install so I would avoid the used route. The collar in the photo is my broken one.

Nathan289
May 2nd, 2014, 08:47 PM
The funny thing is the D5TZ7228A part number doesn't look like my collar.

Mine looks like C4AZ7228A

I don't know Fairlanes well enough to know if mine is original or if its been replaced.

But I didn't even think amazon.. good call.

P.S. its still the wife's fault.

Jeff W
May 6th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Hard to beat OEM

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/4420507458.html

Nathan289
May 6th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I've tried calling twice. Emailed once.

Must not want to sell it too bad.

I think I'll order that same part number from falcon parts and save $10. I'm sure I can find other parts to order too.