PDA

View Full Version : Looking for gas cap locking ring

ehooter
June 16th, 2014, 10:32 AM
My machine shop made a mistake and killed the locking ring that attaches to my 62 filler neck. Apparently the design was changed to a single piece where mine is two pieces sandwiched together with a seal. I see on falconparts.com you get the ring when you buy a filler neck but it is for the ranchero. Is the ranchero ring the same for the sedan?

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon-auto-parts/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=7032

I just need the ring. Anybody out there that could just sell me the ring or do you know where in Washington State there is a junkyard with Falcons?

Any help is much appreciated!

Luva65wagon
June 16th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I "think" they are the same. They bolt on and the 4 bolt holes are elongated to allow you to rotate the plate adjust the cap, once tightened, for level (to match body lines or trim if installed).

I know I had one or two of them. I used one doing an in-bed Ranchero gas filler recently, so I'm not 100% sure I have another at this point. Sadly, it may be one of those things I sent to the metal scrap bin at the recyclers after out recent swap meet. Or they went for free to someone at the swap meet.

I have it on my to-do list to dig around my bins for something else (this being on Wednesday, so if you can await this schedule, I'll look to see if I still have one. If I do, you can simply have it. Otherwise I think you can get the filler from FalconParts and toss what you don't need.

Something else you may want to consider, which many people do (they can ring-in with pictures if so-inclined), is to transfer the filler to inside the trunk using a late 60's F100 pickup truck in-cab filler neck. Simple bracket to hold the truck filler tube vertical. The original gas cap attached externally in a permanent fashion, though is now non-functional. Solves the paint damage due to slosh out while filling or driving.

ehooter
June 16th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

I agree. When comparing photos of the Ranchero part it looks identical, but Jeff at Falconparts claims they are different. I might have to pull that trigger and get the Ranchero part and modify if necessary, but I thought I would ask around first.

No hurry here and thanks again.

Nathan289
June 16th, 2014, 11:45 AM
I think I have a sedan filler neck in my garage somewhere. It has the piece that holds the cap on.

Is that what you need?

ehooter
June 16th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Yes, the piece that holds the gas cap on. Here is what is looks like..

Nathan289
June 16th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Like the one I just took of one I dug out of the garage?

ehooter
June 16th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Yep, that looks like it. But I see you are out in Deer Park so not just a simple drive from Woodinville to meet up with you.

Nathan289
June 16th, 2014, 12:44 PM
I can stick the lock ring in a envelope and mail it to you.

ehooter
June 16th, 2014, 12:45 PM
how much do you want for it?

Nathan289
June 16th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Nothing. Just tell me where to send it.

ehooter
June 16th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Way cool, thanks:

Eric Hauter
14625 NE 145th St
Apt 213
Woodinville, WA 98072

Nathan289
June 16th, 2014, 12:58 PM
It will be in tomorrow.

ehooter
June 25th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks Nathan, the ring was waiting for me after I returned from camping over the weekend.

Nathan289
June 25th, 2014, 04:57 PM
yOur welcome