PDA

View Full Version : Score one for my Ford-O-Matic!

ew1usnr
June 29th, 2014, 10:52 AM
As an experiment this morning, I stopped, stepped on the brake, revved up the motor, and let go of the brake while stomping down on the throttle. My right rear tire made a loud “Squeeeeeel”!!

My car can peel out with a Ford-O-Matic!

Luva65wagon
June 30th, 2014, 12:20 PM
:3g:

Oh no... now that smoke monster will want to come out all the time!

As a youth, with my '62 Falcon with 289, I let that smoke out of my tires all the time. I think once I start I may not be able to stop!

:NERVOUS:

:3g:

Wilbur
July 7th, 2014, 07:40 PM
As an experiment this morning, I stopped, stepped on the brake, revved up the motor, and let go of the brake while stomping down on the throttle. My right rear tire made a loud “Squeeeeeel”!!

My car can peel out with a Ford-O-Matic!

Trust me, you can get more than a squeal and likely burn the tire right off the rim with that 260, I know my 260 will but I have the 3 speed manual, still, you've got 258 ft lbs of torque and those tires are not safe around all that torque!

You also have a car that's the same weight as a modern Honda Civic (I verified this) yet with nearly TRIPLE the torque, even a Mazda Miata weighs some 2700 pounds these days.

Luva65, my first tragedy was a round body Falcon with a 289, I drove all the way to Mahwah New Jersey (not from Seattle, though) to see my first Falcon and it was love at first sight. It was a dark silver '61 with a 9" rear, 289, and 3 speed toploader, the guy wasn't there but that was the plan. I drove home (this was mid 80's) and I called him when I got home and told him I wanted it.

It was too late he said, another guy came by, left a note that he was going to take it, and it was a done deal, all in the couple hours it took to get home. Ouch. I miss that Falcon, and one day I'll have to replicate it so I can feel better! :D