PDA

View Full Version : 62 Ranchero Steering box

woodstocka1
July 17th, 2015, 07:04 PM
I'm having trouble removing the steering box on a 62 ,I can't remove the bottom Bolt that connects the Steering box to the lower steering Mach. I'd like to hear from any one that has experience doing this . thank you for any help;:rain:

redfalken
July 18th, 2015, 12:15 AM
I think you're talking about the bolt that secures the pitman arm? That's what moves the center link. The bolt goes into the sector shaft and has a very high torque. 6-cylinders are about 100 ft. lbs. It really takes a lot to crack them loose. You will need a 1/2" breaker bar and use a 6-point socket. Maybe even a pipe to put over the breaker bar for more leverage if needed.

It should come loose but if not, you may need to apply some heat from a torch. More than just a propane one used to sweat copper plumbing. If you have or can borrow an air impact wrench, that would work well too.

BadBird
July 18th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I remember trying to get mine off for about an hour with my breaker bar and socket. My son who is a mechanic, heated it up and used his impact gun for just a second. I think the heat like mentioned earlier was the trick. His impact gun was also a lot more powerful than mine also. Larry