PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain replacement on 170

DanP
October 11th, 2015, 08:39 AM
I'm replacing the timing chain on my 64 falcon 170. The manual says to remove the fan, but I don't see how that is done? Can I do the timing chain without replacing the fan?

Luva65wagon
October 11th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Is it a clearance issue to get the 4 bolts out? Having the fan and other front end bits, including radiator, won't keep you from doing the timing chain, but they'll certainly be in the way. I'd be draining the radiator, pulling the fan and pulley, probably pull the generator if the brackets are in the way, and have some room to work. And then, of course, that would mean I'd be cleaning and painting all of these before putting them back on... while I'm at it.

DanP
October 11th, 2015, 09:04 AM
I have the radiator and generator out. Replacing the radiator - while I'm at it. I'd like to take the fan off, but how is it removed?

DanP
October 11th, 2015, 09:06 AM
...more detail needed in my reply. The four bolts on the fan are out, but it still doesn't come off. Is it pressed on to the center shaft? If so, how do you remove it?

Luva65wagon
October 11th, 2015, 09:16 AM
There should be 4 bolts going right into its center holding it and the pulley onto the water pump.

Jeff W
October 11th, 2015, 09:34 AM
It is a tight fit on that center shaft, but with those four bolts out you can get it. Paint and rust are making it stick. Just keep working it without bending the blades. Maybe a pry tool between the fan hub and the hub of the water pump. Work your way around so it doesn't get crooked and bind more. You can do it!

DanP
October 11th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Thanks, Jeff. I'm always leery of applying force without first determining if there is a better way, as there might be another fastener that I'm missing. I'll go play some Barry White, and try to seduce her off the shaft.

Luva65wagon
October 11th, 2015, 09:56 AM
...more detail needed in my reply. The four bolts on the fan are out, but it still doesn't come off. Is it pressed on to the center shaft? If so, how do you remove it?

Sorry - using my phone and missed this. So... what Jeff said. :banana: