PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Mini-Regional - June 25th, Vancouver, WA

redfalken
April 24th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I thought I would get this thread started and post a scan of the flyer I got in the mail in case somebody didn't receive one. The Columbia River Chapter is sponsoring it this year in Vancouver, WA. Hope to see a lot of you in attendance. We usually get about 50+ showing up and the more the merrier.

I would be interested in a caravan down if anyone is going. We usually meet up off I-5 at the Tacoma Mall Blvd. and S. 56th St. exit. There's a shell station there.

Nathan289
April 24th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Bummer, i wont be able to make it this year..

Take lots of pictures.. and most of all have fun.

Luva65wagon
April 25th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Thanks Kenny, I meant to post a similar thread, but just never got to it yet.

There is a certain comfort in a caravan. I'm not sure yet what I will drive down, but always prefer a group. I've got it on my calendar so hopefully nothing comes up.

With it down in Vancouver (uh hum... the Canadian side of Portland - :p), we'll need to plan 3-4 hours driving from Seattle.

SmithKid
April 25th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Yup. Thanks, Kenny. I plan to go, but nothing is boiler-plated. Caravanning sounds good to me too. I must not be on their list from 3 years ago (either that or I'm on their BAD list :D), I never got a mailing.

Luva65wagon
June 6th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Just pinging this upward as a reminder to the membership.

I'll be bringing only one car, the wagon, to this show. It'll be happier with the long cruise down to Vancouver.

doghows
June 8th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Well this one snuck up quick. Is the plan to meet at that Shell station? If so what time will the departure be.
I think I'll be good to go, I have a smart phone now and won't miss the time this year :ROTFLMAO: how many of you all going? :shift:

Luva65wagon
June 9th, 2016, 01:51 PM
We should try to be in Vancouver by 10AM, so however long before that it takes to drive from Tacoma on a Saturday - looks to be about 2 to 2.5 hrs. Means 7:30 AM meet at the Shell station and we have a 15-minute give/take window to head out from there.

Not sure yet who's going to make it. Me, maybe Kenny and Gene. Too far for Jeff, I'm sure. Not sure Larry will be done with his in time. We know Nathan isn't coming over. But anyone who wants to meet up with those who do come, meet at the South Tacoma Mall Blvd Shell Station at South 56th Street - west side of the freeway. 1.2 miles south of Krispe Kreme.

SmithKid
June 9th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Caravaning sounds good to me, Roger.

redfalken
June 12th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Unfortunately it looks like I will need to bow out this year. My wife hasn't had much work for the last 5 months and it looks like she will have to go job hunting. We've been living off one income and savings for awhile and just had a big tax bill. I sold our truck to help pay it and lower our bills.

The Falcon needs a new battery for sure and while the tires don't have a lot of miles on them, they are old and getting cracked sidewalls so I don't really trust then on a 300 mile trip.

So if I seem pretty quiet this year, I'm busy having yard sales, selling stuff on eBay and craigslist, getting a motorcycle ready to sell and generally trying to survive until we have a steady income. Sorry for the late notice but it's just bad timing for me.

Luva65wagon
June 13th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Kenny, that is very sad overall. I hope you get things settled soon.

I've been on an extended pay-cut for 4 months now and it's being felt. Business is trying to adjust to a new competitive market and that was step one along with some downsizing. They're now condensing office spaces and moving out of one warehouse (which I felt was long overdue anyway). Kind'a reminds me of the 80's again. Anyway a $50-$100 day is hard to justify sometimes. I still plan to go though as long as it is not just me. I like the comfort of a caravan to make sure we all get there and back... without using AAA.

dhbfaster
June 13th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Man...bummed I am not going so I was just checking to see what I was missing...and I am bummed out for you guys. I've been there and definitely know what it's like getting laid off as well as going on a pay cut. (Being on a pay cut was why I didn't take granddads falcon when my dad offered it to me.)

Hang in there...

SmithKid
June 14th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Not a good time, Kenny! I can relate when remembering 'back when'...... Hang tough. Better times are coming!

redfalken
June 14th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys. We're not eating cat food just yet and it's actually good motivation for me to get rid of a lot of stuff I just don't need. It's amazing how much you can accumulate when living in one place for a decade or so!

I used to hit estate and yard sales all the time so now it's time to see if I can turn those dimes into dollars on eBay! It's a real time suck but so far $412 in the last 60 days! ;:)

Luva65wagon
June 15th, 2016, 08:24 AM
It's amazing how much you can accumulate when living in one place for a decade or so!

Man - can certainly relate with that!

I used to hit estate and yard sales all the time so now it's time to see if I can turn those dimes into dollars on eBay! It's a real time suck but so far $412 in the last 60 days! ;:)

Been doing the same thing since December and it's been helping me too, but boy the time suck thing is so true. Once good weather hit I've had a very hard time finding time to list anything. But I need to find that time.

Lila started taking stuff recently to a place a couple doors north of Smarty Pants in Georgetown. Cool place (name of the place escapes me at the moment) (OK, had to Google it... District is the name) and she's done pretty good. They have both store front and an auction. Might be a consideration for the things that are too large for eBay. It's a consignment place though and they keep like 50%. She's sells mostly artwork (paintings), etc. I might use them for some things I have.

Luva65wagon
June 20th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Just posting to move this up-top. So-far it is looking like Gene and I from up north. Plan is still to stop at the Shell station if others are planning to meet there.

Steve, you indicated a "go" for this show, but would like to know if this is still a go.

Anyone else want to go, but have nothing to go there in? I'm sure you can hitch a ride with one of us if interested. Just ask and we'll make it happen.

BadBird
June 20th, 2016, 09:02 PM
If and it's a big if. I am trying to get this car finished and Carol and I will be driving down. Finally got the leak fixed at the line lock. Just need to bleed the brakes, take the car around the block 3 or 4 different times to warm up the rear end, cool it down and do it again. They recommend that process to break in the traction loc discs. I will let you know more as the week goes on. Larry

doghows
June 22nd, 2016, 12:14 PM
putting my plan together now. if I drive to Tacoma its another 45 minutes each way. Adds up to 1.5hrs more driving. If I go hood canal to Olympia its a 4 hour drive for me each way. I might try to time my drive to hook up in or around Olympia with your group.
But Krispy Kreme is always my weak spot. Hmmmm. :3g:

Raysir
June 24th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Got the car ready . Just finished the alignment. This'll be the first long distance. :) Hope for sunshine.
Ray

dank2882
June 24th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Ray,

The 64 looks awesome! Great job. Hope you enjoy many rides.

Dan

Raysir
June 24th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Thanks Dan...hope to be there tomorrow.:)

Luva65wagon
June 24th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Very nice herd there in the background too. Hope your drive is without issue.

Gene and I are heading down from my place at 7am. Will pull into the Shell in Tacoma as planned, whether anyone shows up there or not. It will be a good break, fuel check, and we'll proceed on time as planned. See all who makes it in Vancouver otherwise.

ew1usnr
June 25th, 2016, 03:35 AM
Got the car ready . Just finished the alignment. This'll be the first long distance. :) Hope for sunshine.
Ray

Hello, Ray.

Have fun on your trip. I like the little side lights that you added to your Falcon. I wondered how that might be done and still look nice. It looks like you figured out how to do it

Question: What is the car with the rumble seat that is in your garage?

Thanks, Dennis.

Luva65wagon
June 26th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Hey all. Just a quick note on the mini yesterday. About 20 cars were there at the start of show... and only Gene and I were representing our chapter. I forgot to take any pictures. My heater core blew as soon as I left Gene near Tukwila.

Jeff W
June 26th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Thanks for representing. Sorry to hear about your heater core issues. How did you get home?:NERVOUS::NERVOUS::NERVOUS:

Luva65wagon
June 27th, 2016, 09:22 AM
When I left Gene I was only a mile from Lila's place. That's when I noticed the coolant spewing all over my carpet. I started by soaking it all up after releasing the pressure in the radiator. I then bypassed the heater core by pulling the hose off the heat choke valve (my Weber choke uses hot water like the base-plate originally did from Ford) and looped it back to the water pump fitting. Then I pushed plain water through the heater core so any more dripping, if any, would be water. I drove the final 30 miles home without issue. Another day-in-the-life...

:doh:

SmithKid
June 27th, 2016, 09:36 AM
That kinda stuff always makes me think of the old...... If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all! Or.... What did I do to deserve this? Or...... @#%:bicker:$&*!

Luva65wagon
June 27th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Aww... I just didn't have enough to do. I was running out of things for my to-do list.

:rolleyes:

Nathan289
July 3rd, 2016, 10:07 PM
What was the final tally of cars at the meet?

Luva65wagon
July 5th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Columbia chapter has those records. I'd say, at best, maybe 25 individual cars came and went. Some came and stayed only a short time. At one point I counted only 20 cars at about 11:30. There were few cars from the north or east. The southernest car was from near Grants Pass, Oregon and won the long-distance prize we submitted.

Raysir
July 13th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Hello, Ray.

Have fun on your trip. I like the little side lights that you added to your Falcon. I wondered how that might be done and still look nice. It looks like you figured out how to do it

Question: What is the car with the rumble seat that is in your garage?

Thanks, Dennis.

Thanks for the kudos , Dennis
The side lights are 68 Charger. My Sprint in HS had them from prior owner. The rumble seat is in a 36 Ford 3 window I built 2002-2004. I found it in Everett and shipped home to Anchorage. Now retired in Salem.