PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a repair shop in central Florida

Soft Taco 84
February 6th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Now that the falcon runs great, the next order of business is the transmission. It's a 4 speed manual that chatters and it also leaks pretty bad so I always have to top it off. I'm looking for a repair shop in central Florida to handle it. I live in Sanford specifically but If I can find a shop here or even lake Mary, longwood, Orlando or apopka that would be great. Thanks for any suggestions!

Luva65wagon
February 7th, 2017, 09:42 AM
What type of 4-speed is in this? What engine?

If this is the 6-cyl English 4-speed (Dagenham) the shaft seals for this, and gaskets, are a hard find. Ask me how I know. Most shops can do very little with these because parts are so hard to find. I've seen a gasket kit, I think, on eBay, but they wanted more than I wanted to pay, so I made my own gaskets, which is easy to do. The shaft seals I addressed by sandwiching an o-ring between the seal and the shift lever before bolting those back on. There is a tail-shaft seal you can still get, but that is the only easy item to find on these. They are made of unobtainium. I had to buy 5 or 6 of these to get enough good parts to build one good transmission, though I probably have enough parts to build another. Once I sell my wagon, which has this transmission, these spare parts are going on eBay to pay for all of my future projects combined.

If a V8 4-speed you are in better luck and most good transmission shops in your area can deal with these. Parts are more plentiful. Maybe Dennis, who lives in Florida, knows a good transmission shop. Otherwise ask around some of the local car clubs, since they usually know who (locally) to use and who to avoid.

Soft Taco 84
February 7th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Yep, it's the dagenham :(

R33d
December 10th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Got any other recommendations?

Luva65wagon
December 11th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Buy low, sell high... that's always a good recommendation.

[thumb]