PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels

Ferari
August 21st, 2017, 10:08 AM
Finally was able to take a decent picture of the new wheels on my Falcon. Have been looking for awhile about what I wanted and was torn. The Magnum 500's that I borrowed from my Mustang last year looked good but wasn't sure if I wanted the same wheels on both cars. Considered Torq Thrusts, but then again a lot of people are running them. Saw the Rocket Racing Sunburst Hypershot and decided that was the look I wanted.

SmithKid
August 21st, 2017, 03:09 PM
Very nice. I like that look too.[thumb]

BadBird
August 21st, 2017, 10:39 PM
Excellent choice, really adds a lot to the black car. Fantastic. Larry

Luva65wagon
August 22nd, 2017, 09:00 PM
Me like! Wheels, for me, have always been a hard thing to both choose and to buy. As such I always tend to revert back to some retro or original look.

:o

falcongeorge
August 30th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Those look good.

Vikingblu
August 31st, 2017, 06:01 PM
Agreed, like the look.

falcongeorge
August 31st, 2017, 06:49 PM
Finally was able to take a decent picture of the new wheels on my Falcon. Have been looking for awhile about what I wanted and was torn. The Magnum 500's that I borrowed from my Mustang last year looked good but wasn't sure if I wanted the same wheels on both cars. Considered Torq Thrusts, but then again a lot of people are running them. Saw the Rocket Racing Sunburst Hypershot and decided that was the look I wanted.

To be honest, I liked the gold BBS style wheels too. I am going for a late sixties/early seventies look on my own '65 project car, I have a pair of 14x6 Fenton Hustlers for the front, plan to mate them with 15x6 chrome steel wheels on the back, XF-8 ram log and M/T valve covers. I like the stance on your car, I want mine to sit similar to that.

What springs are you running in front?

Ferari
August 31st, 2017, 08:28 PM
If memory serves me they are 500 lb springs up front. Upper A-arms relocated. My plan is to purchase another rearend (someday) and have a set of wheels for road trips and a set for around town. The 4.11's on the highway are a little hard to take.

falcongeorge
September 1st, 2017, 01:24 AM
If memory serves me they are 500 lb springs up front. Upper A-arms relocated. My plan is to purchase another rearend (someday) and have a set of wheels for road trips and a set for around town. The 4.11's on the highway are a little hard to take.

Thanks. When you say "upper control arms relocated" I assume you mean the "Shelby drop"? Perfect, that's what I have done on my '65. Yours looks great, sits just right. I plan to put either 3.89s or 4.11 s in mine, behind a 2.78 low toploader, but I don't do a ton of highway driving. I have 4.56s in my s10 with an auto, 4000 stall FTI, LOVE THEM!:3g:

Ferari
September 1st, 2017, 11:54 AM
Correct - the "Shelby" drop. Granted we did it 20 odd years ago....

Love my 4.11's around town but when traveling 2-3 hours on the interstate it wears me down. Have a set of 2.72's that we had in the car when it was sold in '98 (that came back with the car when I bought it back) that I'd like to use for highway trips. Just a matter of time and money to get another rear end setup.

falcongeorge
September 1st, 2017, 08:02 PM
Correct - the "Shelby" drop. Granted we did it 20 odd years ago....

Love my 4.11's around town but when traveling 2-3 hours on the interstate it wears me down. Have a set of 2.72's that we had in the car when it was sold in '98 (that came back with the car when I bought it back) that I'd like to use for highway trips. Just a matter of time and money to get another rear end setup.

Is the car an auto or stick? If it's an auto, have you considered changing to an AOD? I am going to use one behind th Cleveland I am putting in my '67. For me, I just can't live without a decent rear gear, tall gears kill the feel of a performance car for me. I saw this pic of it at a car show with the magnums on it, they looked great on there.

Ferari
September 4th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Top loader close ratio 4 speed

falcongeorge
September 5th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Top loader close ratio 4 speed

I have a 2.78 low toploader to use in my '65. I can definitely understand that you wouldn't pull a toploader to put in an AOD.

Rendon
November 20th, 2017, 01:34 AM
Awesome looking wheels. They really go well with the rest of the car. Thanks for sharing.

BadBird
November 20th, 2017, 01:37 PM
I already commented on your beautiful wheels and still love the change it made to the car.
Now, my two cents about the rear end 4:11 gears you have. I recently installed the 4:11 gears mainly to drag race the car. But, I have the Tremec T5Z and would not have changed to the 4:11 if I had a four speed.
It was crazy enough when I had the C4 transmission even with the 3:26 gears or whatever I had.
I usually drive my car around now in 4th gear with the lower gear ratio while going slower speeds, but when I get to 35-40 I shift into 5th gear. In fourth, the RPM's make the car annoying to drive and too loud.
With the four speed you have, I agree that going to a higher gear ratio would make it more fun to drive.
You have a beautiful car and fun to drive is the key issue now. Larry

Ferari
November 20th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Upgrading to a Tremec is on my "to do" list, unfortunately with 3 classics and a few other toys I find myself prioritizing what gets upgraded first. Slowly working on my Mustang and since the Falcon doesn't need much it doesn't get much.

Granted my other thought was to buy another 8" and use the 2.8's I have and the other set of wheels then just swap out rearends when I want to do a road trip. While it sounds great it would be more work than it is worth so I'll just enjoy the new wheels for the time being and plan my road trips around the distance to the next gas station!

BadBird
November 20th, 2017, 10:56 PM
Hope you didn't think I was saying to get a Tremec. I was just agreeing that the 4:11 gearing with a 4 speed isn't a lot of fun.
That being said, I drove my 57 Chevy when I was in high school with a Corvette 4 speed in the car and 4:11 gears. But, when you are 17 and drag race on the streets every night, frustration never enters your mind.
Your car is beautiful, and the wheels really made a difference. Best of luck with the Mustang and all the to do lists that go with the cars. Larry

Luva65wagon
November 21st, 2017, 10:58 AM
So.... is it is time to change your signature pic? That one you posted is a great picture.

Ferari
November 22nd, 2017, 09:18 PM
Roger - done

Larry - no offense taken. When Dad was building the stroker in the Falcon 25+ years ago he purchased a Tremec with plans on installing it until he realized the shifter location would change and he didn't want to lose the console, hence why it still has a 4 speed.

Voodoofalcon
November 25th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Looks good ! :rocker: