PDA

View Full Version : Adding seatbelts

cometcougar
December 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I am going to add 3 point belts (retractable) to the front seats, and wondered if anybody here has ever done that. If so, do you have some pictures and/or advice for me before I have at it? This is for my 1960 comet, but I figured that a Falcon would be comparable. Thanks.

redfalken
December 5th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I haven't done it but did bookmark this page from Julianos and one on a Mustang installation:

http://www.julianos.com/how2.html
http://www.customaccessoriesmfg.com/mustang.htm

The toughest part would be to add enough metal in the pillar to give it the strength to hold up in a crash. It would probably involve welding which might do damage to the exterior paint.

Jeff W
March 13th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I too am going to add three point (3-point) belts to my wagon, Front and back. The links Kenny listed have some great instructions with real retrofit pictures, but they don't have the vintage look I would like to keep with the Falcon. I found three sites that carry the silver-lift type buckles that are close to a stock look:

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/ (http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Ssnake-Oyl&Category_Code=NEW_SEAT_CAT_HEAD)

and

http://www.gotbelts.com/rechlilelaps.html

and

http://www.retrobeltusa.com/

The second site (gotbelts) have quite a selection of colors. I can't imagine canary yellow or lime green belts looking good in any car... but if we all had the same taste it car shows would be pretty boring. I most likely will be getting black or dark gray.

I'll post in a few weeks after I make up my mind and get some pictures of the install process.

They are all about $70 for one persons worth of safety.

If anyone has installed three point belts in a falcon or comet, your comments and or measurements would be appreciated.

I think anyone hauling kids around in these classics should consider this upgrade.

Sedanman
March 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I need to do this too. When did you get a wagon, Jeff? Details, please - I've been away too long! :)

Jeff W
March 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I finally found (only a two year search) a decent 1963 2-door wagon. It is being trucked up from Sacramento this this next week. I'll post pictures when it arrives. If all goes as planned, I may have it in time for the Club meeting this Wednesday at Burgermaster. It's a bit more "custom" that I was looking for but the body is so nice I couldn't turn away.

The original owner died in 2004 and his widow sold it to his friend who had the body redone then put it up for sale.

Luva65wagon
March 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Jeff,

Does it look like it'll be there tomorrow -- or are you gonna keep it secret and surprise us?

Jeff W
March 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Unfortunately it looks like it will be later in the week. I was hoping for a St. Patrick's day arrival since it is green. I guess I'll have to settle for a Shamrock shake at Burgermaster.

Luva65wagon
March 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
There you go... [thumb]

Jeff W
March 17th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Here is a preview

Nathan289
March 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Very Cool..

I like it.. any interior shots?

Nathan

Jeff W
March 17th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I didn't want to spoil my buzz... it needs some work.

Jeff W
March 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Check out the "California Emissions" tube held on with speaker wire. I traded some stuff with Kenny and got a newer valve cover with PCV hole, this ugly tube will be going away. The other end of this hose hoes to a snorkel on the back of the air cleaner. I have seen that snorkel before but have never seen it hooked to anything. Mystery solved. Those California Law Makers...

Nathan289
March 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Are you going to recover the seats in steerhead?

Very cool

Nathan

Jeff W
March 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I won't be doing anything until I sell the Convertible and get some hobby money. After that I think I'll live with it until it speaks to me and tells me what it wants. Too often I start in on a project and later realize I should have gone a different direction from the start. Kenny recommends Navajo blankets.

Luva65wagon
March 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Navaho blankets! I have some you can have!

Also, I have some of that interior paint color too [thumb] It's not easy to make.

Also, like Kenny, I'm a Kalifornia kid who grew up in the emissions transition. There were none in 62. That's probably some jury-rig PCV wanna-be hack to reduce the puffs of smoke they saw coming out of that tube. Wasn't mandated by Arnold, or was it Ronald back then... one of them actors I'm sure though.

Jeff W
May 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Seat belts - revisited:

I received my belts and was very happy with the quality and the price.

I ended up buying from :

http://www.seatbeltpros.com/

I brought one of the shoulder belts to the meeting tonight so everyone could get an eye-full. I bought the 140" retractable, chrome lift buckle mounted to the 25" adjustable floppy with bolt in end fitting.

With the optional hardware kit and one "mounting plate" each set set-up was $74...

the single lap belt for the poor passenger that has to sit between my two girls was $17.00

Now to borrow the welding machine and get 'er done.:3g:

redfalken
May 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
We should add that link to the "General Vendors" section of the "Resources" page. Always nice to add a new source with a good recommendation. Can you do that Pat?

I'll see how they look in the wagon and should probably do my front seats someday. If I can do it without screwing up the paint.

pbrown
May 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Can you do that Pat?

I'll do that.

Jeff W
March 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I cut and fit the shoulder receiver hardware into the B and C pillars. Roger has offered (maybe he was drunk) to weld them in. I think he said he not only wanted to help me out but was curious to see how much damage it did to the body paint and possibly do the same on his. With Roger and my hectic schedules - we just gotta see when we are both free.

I'll post some pictures after I find my camera so Roger can give me any "prep" advice to minimize the time he has to spend monkeying around.

I also fished the lower hardware receiver for the retractor, through the rocker to a 1/2" hole I drilled for the bolt... that was fun. Picture attached

Luva65wagon
March 24th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Roger has offered (maybe he was drunk) to weld them in.

Nope, was sober and in my right mind at the time. May not be right now, but I'm sure I was then.

What? Can you speak up? I can't hear you. Oh... No... thank you though, I don't do that stuff anymore. No, really, I'm clean, and have been for almost 30 years. :NERVOUS:

Jeff W
March 26th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Pictures of the anchors ready to weld in the B and C pillars -

I know there are many armchair engineers that will start the flame mail about strength of these pillars, shear force... blah and more blah. I've been looking, thinking, researching and planning around this for two years now. I've looked at all the aftermarket installation sites, inspected new cars in junk yards and talked to a bunch of smart people. I feel this is the right choice for me in my casual driver.

That said, do your own research and decide what you are comfortable with before installing anchor points in your B and C pillars.

When this is done only 326 more items to check off :shift:

Luva65wagon
March 26th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Those should be a breeze to weld up Jeff. Nothing much needed there to prep. probably have you hold a wet towel outside to minimize heat transfer.

Are you going to leave the bottoms as-is, or do you want to weld those in too?

I seriously doubt once these are welded in there, those pillars will hold you in just fine Jeff.

Jeff W
March 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM
The bottoms are inside the rocker panels and held in place with tapped holes and screws. No welding required. [thumb]