PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern California

Ran Bush
December 4th, 2020, 04:49 PM
I just joined this Forum today, and wanted to introduce myself.

In 1985 in Santa Cruz, CA I bought a black Futura convertible with a white top for $2500. It was originally a 260V8 that some previous owner had changed to a 289. I had no idea what I was doing when I bought the car - I went to see it at night in a dark parking lot. I had a flashlight but I didn't know that I should bring a magnet to check for solid metal. After about an hour I said "Sold!"

I soon learned that the car had been in Boston most of its life, it had major rust problems, and it had been rear-ended at some point. A previous owner had grafted on the rear of another Falcon, but I didn't notice that until I lifted up the floor mat in the trunk a few weeks after I bought the car. Ooops!

Long story short, I drove it and fixed it up over time when things broke. In the 90's I put in a 302 EFI V8 and a five-speed and it was my daily driver into the mid '00's. I parked it for a few years and in '18 I found a shop space where I could store it and begin the rebuild process. I have dealt with the rust problems and I have disc brakes and power-assist steering on it now.

Still enjoy working on it, and I hope to get my teenage son interested in it too.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this Forum.

Luva65wagon
December 4th, 2020, 09:32 PM
Welcome Ran,

Lot's of big builds archived here and a couple more soon to begin. We're the chapter up here in Seattle of the FCA, but we're here to help if we can with users all over the place. Keep those Falcon's going. Feel free to post pictures and ask questions as needed and we'll do the best we can to help.

Jeff W
December 5th, 2020, 08:58 AM
Hi Ran, love the story. I had a ‘63 Futura convertible for over 20 years. It had spent most of it’s live in Wisconsin and was also rusty. I replaced things as they broke but as long as the top still went up and down, it was the most enjoyable car I had ever owned. You can’t see the rust when you are behind the steering wheel!

Ran Bush
December 5th, 2020, 01:16 PM
You can’t see the rust when you are behind the steering wheel!

8)

Yep, you got that right, Jeff. Thanks for saying Hi.

Ran Bush
December 5th, 2020, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Roger.