PDA

View Full Version : Newbe

gtaroger
December 5th, 2020, 07:14 AM
Hi every body, my name is Roger . I own a 65 Falcon Furtura. I really enjoy working on my car and updating it. I've been into performance for over 50 years.

Jeff W
December 5th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Welcome Roger. Add a picture when you can. Since you like performance, what upgrades have you done or considering for your ‘65?

gtaroger
December 5th, 2020, 08:02 PM
When I bought the car a few years ago it already had alot of modes done to it.It came with a 310 long rod SVO boss block AFR 185 heads,air gap intake ,quick fuel racing carb,long tube headers,Comp cam,PA c-4 trans,4 link with a 4.11 9 inch disc brakes front and rear,tube a-arms with coil overs. Since I got it I dumped the flow master mufflers and installed Magna Flow SS mufflers,Swapped out the C-4 for a built AOD,installed borgeson powersteering,Vintage air,installed a drive shaft loop,installed a custom dash bezel with GPS speedometer,built in tach with built in shift light,built a custom console with built in gauges and switches.There are more modes ,but thoses are the main ones that I can think of right now.I am in the middle of doing the upgrades to the dash and a couple of other things for the winter.

Jeff W
December 5th, 2020, 10:56 PM
That is a clean engine compartment. Good luck on the dash. Maybe you want to start a build thread so we can all watch. Since we are stuck at home we need entertainment!

gtaroger
December 6th, 2020, 08:08 AM
It's a little late for a build thread. I have the bezel done and installed . The console is finished and installed. I plan on installing a new dash pad and installing carbon fiber on the dash between the accent lines across the dash. Here's what I've done so far.

Luva65wagon
December 7th, 2020, 12:32 AM
Greeting from the "other Roger." Beautiful Falcon - I just could not help but fix a couple image issues for you so others didn't have to stand on their head to see it. If you want to post some build pics - even if from long ago to show your efforts - feel free. We have all learned something from someone else's build, so post away. Just avoid using the Post Inline button on the image manager. I've found this new site image tool to be a bit finnicky, so I generally have to load about three images, go back to the thread, then I can add another, go back in to the thread. It seems to lose track of more than three at a time, though you can manipulate it to take a lot more if you baby it.

Question for you. I see the shock tower braces and the effort to route AC lines. Have you considered the removable shock tower bracing to allow, perhaps, better concealment and increased strength? Like the one on my Ranchero, specifically? Just curious.

[thumb]

gtaroger
December 7th, 2020, 09:39 AM
Thanks for fixing the photo. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to computers. I chicken peck my way around. I have not thought about removing the shock towers.I have thought about routing the lines under the frame rails or the under side of the fenders.The front end has the CCP cross member with the tube control arms and coil overs. It drives great. I hate to change anything when it works so well.Roger

Luva65wagon
December 7th, 2020, 11:21 AM
No problem. I've found the work-arounds by tricking it, but it's far from stellar in its behavior - and probably more so for the chicken peckers. :)

My shock tower brace leaves the shock towers. It's just the bolt in shock tower braces instead of the factory welded in bracing. Give you a little more flexibility without weakening it. This one is from Melvin's site.

Even what you have is stiffer than the bolt-on heim-joint setups you see being used all the time, which work fine for "pull" stresses, but near nothing for push stresses. Heim joints are made to swivel, so using them on angles connected to pinch flanges to keep things from moving under compression stresses eludes most designers. But they do look pretty. This one is better than most since it does go forward of the shock towers too, but bolting it to the tube, in the middle, which can flex - sort of defeats it too. If it went to the fender apron it would be better - like on long brace from the firewall to the fender aprons with the shock towers in between.

Sorry for the "more than you asked", but I was just talking to Gene Smith (Smithkid, here) about this yesterday.

gtaroger
December 7th, 2020, 04:53 PM
I do plan on changing the shock tower brace. I just haven't decided on the design yet.I'm not crazy about the stock design ,I plan to make my own.I plan on making the plates out of cardboard and then having my nephew cut them out at his shop.I have been thinking about a brace that crosses the towers and back the the fire wall that is welded together. Less flex. When I get to it I'll post some pictures.

Luva65wagon
December 8th, 2020, 02:24 PM
I've seen some nice custom braces made. I've always planned to, but never got a round to it.

gtaroger
December 8th, 2020, 04:23 PM
My problem now is time. The wife has a long list of things I need to repair around the house.It's about time,I've been working on this car since the summer. I've spent alot of time and broke my budget along time ago.I will get to my car soon enough. Roger