PDA

View Full Version : LeMay collection tour being planned

redfalken
February 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Gang,

Last year at the All Ford Picnic I spoke with Tony Grillo who kindly offered to see if he could arrange a private club tour of the LeMay Collection at the Marymount Academy in Parkland (near Tacoma). If you're not familiar with the LeMay cars, here are a couple of links. One to the museum that is in the works and one to another page that has some good history and photos.

http://lemaymuseum.org/
http://www.collectorcarbuff.com/category/car-museums/

I've also attached a couple of photos of the gym area I found on the web. This is just a TINY amount of the cars they have on display. Notice the `63 Falcon convertible in the first shot. They also have the lowest mileage Tucker that exists (second photo). They have an annual open house but a private tour would be a much nicer experience.

If you haven't met Tony, he's a really great guy and I'm glad he's now in the area. I met Tony when I was living in Santa Rosa, CA. He has quite a collection of classic cars himself and is working as a car appraiser for a company that deals with the LeMay organization.

So I was going to wait until we had more details but just couldn't. Tony is going to contact LeMay soon and I told him that ideally we would like to do a tour on a Saturday within the next couple of months. Maybe late morning. He said there might be a small fee but it should be well worth it.

I'll post right here when I get more info so stay tuned!

Jeff W
February 11th, 2008, 09:20 PM
You can count me in! I've wanted to go for years but never wanted to deal with the crowds during the usual open house. Thanks for setting that up.

MacDee
February 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Me too!!
If I'm not out of town.

Luva65wagon
February 12th, 2008, 11:57 PM
If I'm out of town... I'll come back!! Count me in.

pbrown
February 13th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm in. Just be sure that is plenty of notice so I will be in town.

redfalken
February 14th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I'm pretty excited about finally getting to see this collection. He's got a real range of different makes and models plus some boat motors and a few motorcycles. I hope Tony can get something arranged.

I'll let everyone know as soon as I hear from him one way or the other. I'll also email everyone if we can do this. I'd love to get a big turnout.

redfalken
February 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I just got an email this morning from Tony:

I spoke with the LeMay Museum and good dates for them
would be Saturday, March 15 or Saturday, March 22,
with tours at 10:00 AM, 1:00 PM, and 3:00 PM, lasting
about 2 hours.

I was quoted a price of $15.00 per person or $10.00
per person if there are 30 or more people.

If these dates don't work we can go farther out. More
time may allow more people to plan on attending.

Let me know what you think ASAP and I will secure the
date and time with the museum.

So I'll take comments and suggestions on this until Sunday evening. I would think March 22nd at either 10:00 or 1:00 would be good but that's Easter weekend. That's not a big deal for me with no kids and I'm not a frequent church visitor but if others think it will be a problem we can entertain another date.

Also, I'm hoping that I can spread the word to enough people on my various email lists to get 30 to attend. If we can do that and get the price to $10, I propose we tack $5 on as a way to raise funds for the club.

If we can't get 30 people, we can just keep it at $15. Either way I think it's a bargain for a morning of looking at a pretty cool car collection.

Comments???

Jeff W
February 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM
March 22nd sounds great. I would think 10:00am would be best so those interested can gather for lunch in Tacoma afterwards. Maybe some of our more Southern members can recommend a place.
A $5.00 recommended donation to the club sounds like a good idea as well.
I know it's a long drive but maybe a few members of the Portland team would be interested in making the trek.

gfly
February 16th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks for laying the groundwork and making it possible. Please send details when package is ready with day, time, place (map), donation/fees, and any other information.

icebox500
February 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I would be interested, keep me in the loop.

Thanks for working on this - I've been fascinated with this collection for almost 10 years now.

Coupe

amasterj
February 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I could also bring a guest or 2 to help get to the 30 people mark, if that is going to be allowed. I would think just about everyone has a buddy who would be into it. Not sure what the thoughts are on that?

Jerry Kirby
February 16th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I would go for sure except on the 15th. That is our 50th Wedding anniversary party and I'm guessing my better half will want me to attend. I could also bring a couple of guests depending on the arrangements.

redfalken
February 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I could also bring a guest or 2 to help get to the 30 people mark, if that is going to be allowed. I would think just about everyone has a buddy who would be into it. Not sure what the thoughts are on that?

Absolutely bring a friend or two. This is not just for club members although I don't think it would be appropriate for just anyone to attend unless they know someone who reads this forum or has an interest in the club.

Remember, I'm trying to get a headcount so if you think there's a good chance you will bring a friend let me know. I'll read through this thread and add things up Sunday evening. There seems like enough interest so far that we'll move forward with this.

6sprint3
February 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I would like to go. My wife has been telling me about it for years.

Jerry Alfaro
February 16th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I just got an email this morning from Tony:

I spoke with the LeMay Museum and good dates for them
would be Saturday, March 15 or Saturday, March 22,
with tours at 10:00 AM, 1:00 PM, and 3:00 PM, lasting
about 2 hours.

I was quoted a price of $15.00 per person or $10.00
per person if there are 30 or more people.

If these dates don't work we can go farther out. More
time may allow more people to plan on attending.

Let me know what you think ASAP and I will secure the
date and time with the museum.

So I'll take comments and suggestions on this until Sunday evening. I would think March 22nd at either 10:00 or 1:00 would be good but that's Easter weekend. That's not a big deal for me with no kids and I'm not a frequent church visitor but if others think it will be a problem we can entertain another date.

Also, I'm hoping that I can spread the word to enough people on my various email lists to get 30 to attend. If we can do that and get the price to $10, I propose we tack $5 on as a way to raise funds for the club.

If we can't get 30 people, we can just keep it at $15. Either way I think it's a bargain for a morning of looking at a pretty cool car collection.

Comments???

I'm going to see if my son can get off work to come up. It would be cool to see other peoples cars.

jerry-

kja_01
February 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM
At this point I would say I will join you at the LeMay party. Ken:)

amasterj
February 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM
You can count me and 2 guests for sure, any of the dates that you mentioned would work for me

gfly
February 17th, 2008, 12:05 AM
LeMay August 2007
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560431464mlKuBd
John Shirley collection
http://rides.webshots.com/album/559387678HiNaTC
Ferrari Museum
http://www.alfapower.nu/gallery/album58?page=1
Local paint shop - locally made cars and restorations
http://www.byerscustom.com
Restorations and race car servicing worldwide Dennison International
http://davidcaley.smugmug.com/cars/163811

70 1/2 falcon
February 17th, 2008, 02:18 AM
my wife and I would love to join in if it is on the 15th. We are off to vegas 16th to 23rd

MacDee
February 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I'm there! Debra, too.
Two.

eperkins
February 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM
The wife and I will go. Thank you for contacting us.

Eric Perkins
Olympia

Jerry Kirby
February 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Count me in for 2 spots. BUT only if the date is other than the 15th.

Jerry

redfalken
February 17th, 2008, 08:37 PM
So of the people who expressed interest in a specific date it looks like the 22nd wins out. I'm sorry if that doesn't work for some of you. I'm going to let Tony know we're interested in March 22nd at 10am for a two hour tour and tell him at this point it looks like we'll make the 30 people mark no problemo. My count as of now is 23 who said they would go. And Monte from the Columbia River Falcon/Comet Club will bring it up at their meeting on March 6th so they may have a few that can join us.

As soon as I hear that we have confirmation with the LeMay Collection people I will email everyone again with all the info and post it here as well.

Should be a blast and hopefully we can all find a place to grab lunch afterwards.

Kelly Rosa
February 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Kenny, Paul and I would love to go on the tour. I think one of my dad's old Jaguar's is in that collection.

SmithKid
February 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Kenny, Have you got a confirmed date/time yet. I would like to go also.
SmithKid

redfalken
February 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I'll write more in the morning but I just got confirmation today from Tony that we are scheduled for March 22nd at 10am. So mark your calendars and I'll post tomorrow with all the details including directions. I'll also email everyone again.

Luva65wagon
February 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
I'm all in for 2 spots as well. I've got a car friend who'd love to go.

So... can we perhaps arrange a club meeting to coincide with this, like a nice lunch/meeting afterwards? It's high-time we do this. I know we'll have friends with us, but we can make it a quick one. Yes/No?

redfalken
February 23rd, 2008, 08:56 AM
The Rainier Falcons have confirmation from the LeMay organization for a tour on Saturday, March 22nd at 10:00 a.m. The LeMay collection is located at the Marymoor Academy in Tacoma (Parkland area). Directions to the LeMay Museum:

* From I-5 take the Puyallup/Mt. Rainier exit (Exit 127). This will put you on Highway 512, heading east toward Puyallup.

* Take the Pacific Avenue exit and at the light take a right. You will be heading south on Pacific Avenue to 152nd Street East/Military Road.

* Take a left (east) on 152nd/Military Road, go approximately 1/4 mile.

* Turn left at the LeMay Collection Tours sign and follow road through the entrance gate.

* Park in front of the Museum gift store

325 152nd Street East, Tacoma, WA, (253) 536-2885
http://www.lemaymuseum.org

The fee for the tour is $15 per person. $5 will be put towards the general funds of the Rainier Falcons and the rest is for The Harold E. LeMay Museum. Please bring cash, the exact amount would be great. Cameras are welcome. Tony also mentioned the woman who will be guiding the tour is very knowledgeable about the collection and was Harold LeMay's assistant for many years. The tour last about 2 hours.

redfalken
February 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
I'm all in for 2 spots as well. I've got a car friend who'd love to go.

So... can we perhaps arrange a club meeting to coincide with this, like a nice lunch/meeting afterwards? It's high-time we do this. I know we'll have friends with us, but we can make it a quick one. Yes/No?

I'm all for that! I'm not familiar with the area at all so I'll let someone else make a suggestion on where to meet.

amasterj
February 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
This all sounds great! So we just bring the cash on the day? Camera's are OK?

6sprint3
February 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
My wife and I would like to join all of you for the tour. I hope the weather is nice enough to drive our classic's. I have a couple other people that I think would like to go . I will let you know if there will be more than just us two.

redfalken
February 23rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
Yes, cameras are welcome.

Yes, bring cash (exact amount if you can).

Also, I've sent an email to everyone asking to reply to that email with your name and number of guests so I can try to get a final headcount.

kja_01
February 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
So of the people who expressed interest in a specific date it looks like the 22nd wins out. I'm sorry if that doesn't work for some of you. I'm going to let Tony know we're interested in March 22nd at 10am for a two hour tour and tell him at this point it looks like we'll make the 30 people mark no problemo. My count as of now is 23 who said they would go. And Monte from the Columbia River Falcon/Comet Club will bring it up at their meeting on March 6th so they may have a few that can join us.

As soon as I hear that we have confirmation with the LeMay Collection people I will email everyone again with all the info and post it here as well.

Should be a blast and hopefully we can all find a place to grab lunch afterwards. From 405 South, take 167 south to 410, stay in right lane (short shot) to 512 to Pacific ave, turn left to South to 152nd/ Military road. 1/4 mile to LeMay on left.

icebox500
February 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
kenny can I bring a couple guests?

redfalken
February 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Yes, absolutely. Guests are welcome. If everyone could reply to the email I sent this morning with a count of how many they will bring, I'm keeping a list to get an approximate headcount.

The more the merrier!

Jim Jarriel
February 26th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I talked it over with my wife and we would love to attend if the tour is March 22nd. The week before I have a gig and wouldn't be able to attend.

When do you think you will have a confirmation on the date?

Jim

Jim Jarriel
February 26th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I just read one of the thread and March 22nd is the day.

Count me in for 2 Kenny.

Jim

DEMACAULAY
February 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Count me in for at least one but quite likely 3 or 4 people. Anyone else from the Bothell area want to caravan down assuming I get my 64 to the popint I feel comfortable driving it. As of now I have only driven it once on the way home.
Doug
1964 falcon sprint convertible
still figuring out which way I want to go with it
206-795-0748:shift:

Luva65wagon
February 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM
If the weather is good I'll be driving to Renton where my Wagon is stored in my friends garage (his Mustang is in mine). I'll then go to Tacoma from there. Either way I'm going there to pick him up anyway, so I'll be going that way around the lake.... I'm in Mill Creek.

So... If you're Falcon ain't a goin' you're welcome to save some fuel and pool... but you'll have to attend the meeting afterward. :cool:

justahairFalconloopy
March 1st, 2008, 11:45 AM
crap...the Canadian club just had our meeting last Monday...now I wish I'd found you kids 2 weeks earlier!!:confused:

geez...how would you feel about some kids North of the 49th coming down?:3g:
I could make some calls....No promises tho;)...we have a tendancy to plan a month ahead of time:D

redfalken
March 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM
Head south! We would love it if members of your club joined us. Are you in the Canadian Falcon Fairlane Comet Club?

justahairFalconloopy
March 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM
Head south! We would love it if members of your club joined us. Are you in the Canadian Falcon Fairlane Comet Club?

even worse...I'm the President!!;)
..and 1 of the 3 original founders...were 27 years old this year!!

...but we look like h-ll for our age:D

melo-yelo
March 3rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Count me in for at least 2, more likely it will be 4. Thanks to all envolved for the work you have put in to put this together. :D:D:D:D

Jeff W
March 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I will be bringing my urban brother-in-law. Total of two.

redfalken
March 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM
So far it looks like 33-36 people have signed up! :rocker:

If you haven't replied to the last email or posted here please do. See you all in a couple of weeks!!

pbrown
March 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I'll be there.

melo-yelo
March 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Plans for my Easter weekend (22nd & 23rd)have changed and I will not be able to attend the LeMay tour as I had planned. :(:(

redfalken
March 16th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Tony Grillo called me yesterday to see how plans were going for the tour and I said it looks like we're going to have a pretty good turnout. He said the LeMay people are excited to have us and were really looking forward to it.

He told me the woman leading the tour is Kitty Hammer. Also, once you get to Marymount Academy you'll see a sign that says "Spana Park Senior Center" that is larger than the LeMay sign so keep an eye out for that as you arrive. He said once you turn in by the sign, turn to the right and you'll end up at LeMay.

I'll send out another email this Thursday as a last minute reminder to all and try to be as helpful as possible with directions, etc.

I will plan on arriving about 9:30 to greet people and we will start the tour promptly at 10:00 so get there at least 10 minutes early please. And please bring cash in the exact amount if at all possible. I don't know how they're set up for making change.

See you all next weekend!!

DEMACAULAY
March 19th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Unfortunatley I just found out that I can not come this sataurday, My son has a Football thing that he has to be at at 10 am in Bothell. Big bummer for me, I was looking forward to meeting some of you, see the collection and see some of your cars too! I am still working on trying to figure an alternative plan. If I can I will let you know
Doug

justahairFalconloopy
March 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM
and I must send 'apologies' too
apparently all my folks do..."family stuff":ROTFLMAO:

and I just purchased 3 more Falcons and have to move them this w/e!!

my bad....woulda been nice to meet you guys...again:)

Have fun!!!!:BIRTHDAY:

CmnThru
March 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
My dad (Teen, yes Teen, Johnson) and I will see all y'all there. Dad is SO excited. He says my uncle sold LeMay a car or two in his day. Dad's been wanting to see this collection for a long time.

Linda
(cmnthru)

redfalken
March 23rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
It was nice too see you again Linda and meet your dad. Hope you had fun.

We got a great turnout. About 35 people total and lots of cool cars. If anyone got some really good photos, send the to webmaster@rainierfalcons.com and I'll make a page on the website. There will also be an article in the next newsletter so I'll need a few good ones. My favorite area was the big green barn with the `63 Futura convertible. Lots of really great cars in there. They don't open it up for regular tours so that was pretty cool!

Thanks to everyone for making it a success.