PDA

View Full Version : Is Air Conditioning a Reality or Am I Dreaming

karenna
June 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hi, I bought a 1961 Falcon and joined this club yesterday, and I would like to know if it's possible to install air conditioning in a '61 Falcon without destroying it, or without it losing too much of it's original look. :confused:

Luva65wagon
June 29th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Welcome Kareena,

There's always someone selling an old AC unit for Ford cars -- if going "period correct" is what you're after. They seem to come mostly out of Mustangs these days. Check out Craigslist or eBay.

Keep in mind that these early AC units were designed to use R-12 refrigerant, which is VERY expensive and hard to find... not to mention having been replaced with R-134, which is far more Earth friendly. So if you can find a complete AC unit, it'll cost a lot to install and charge up. There are those who claim you can convert these older units to run on R-134, but I've not talked to one person who has been happy with this conversion.

There are a couple of companies who sell new AC units for classic cars. Vintage Air is probably the most popular. Just Google "classic car air conditioning" and you'll find a few links to help you decide whether it is worth it to do.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and by the way, if you look under the dash on the right side, you'll see a little handle that will open a door. This little door on a Falcon is the freash air on the passenger side... in case you hadn't seen it yet.

Nathan289
June 29th, 2008, 10:17 PM
there's an air vent on the left side too..

the next quetion is is the 170 or 144 cubic inch engine powerful enough to handle an ac unit?

Nathan

Luva65wagon
June 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Oh sure... as long as you turn it off when you go up hills, pass someone, or just drive it on a flat road. You can turn it on going downhill though.

:shift:

That left side vent had a regular handle on it, so I figured she'd have seen that one.

That door though.... saved my behind once when I was younger and a lot more stupider than I is today. It was what I had stashed behind it... which I will leave to your imagination.

:NERVOUS:

pbrown
June 29th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Classic Auto Air is now re-manufacturing Ford style under dash AC units. They look just like the older Mustang stuff but use modern refrigerant. They also have bracket kits for the 144/170/200 for Sanden compressors. Give them a call.

redfalken
June 29th, 2008, 11:08 PM
That door though.... saved my behind once when I was younger and a lot more stupider than I is today. It was what I had stashed behind it... which I will leave to your imagination.

:NERVOUS:

A pint of Mad Dog 20/20 "Wild Berry"???

Nathan289
June 29th, 2008, 11:10 PM
My 61 has a door on the drivers side just like the door on the pass side..

Though your knob that is mark with an A is much easier to open when driving..

I'll stick to my 250 a/c 2 windows down 50 mph, because the car wont go much faster than that..

Nathan

Luva65wagon
June 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Kenny... It was in the "ounces", but not fluid ounces :BEER:

Luva65wagon
June 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Kareena... back to the subject of AC, I just got my new FCA newsletter today and there is a story about a white 64 with a 170 and a factory AC unit. So, I guess a 170 was enough at the time to handle AC. The 144, which may be what you have, may be a little wimpy for it, but I'm sure you could install a 200 for very little money and have more than enough umphh for AC.

justahairFalconloopy
July 1st, 2008, 12:14 PM
also look into http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/
they have a real nice lil compact unit called a Hurricane...you could replace the whole heater system (which sucks anyhow:p)

Luva65wagon
July 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Wow! I could have AC for a thousand bucks! Man I wish I hadn't seen this. That would be nice for the trip to Oregon...

:doh:

pbrown
July 1st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Wow! I could have AC for a thousand bucks! Man I wish I hadn't seen this. That would be nice for the trip to Oregon...

:doh:

It's a lot easier with the interier out. (I need a Devil smiley).

Jeff W
July 1st, 2008, 10:35 PM
If you were creative with the duct work and vents, one would never see the hurricane system mounted in your car. Now I'M thinking about it!

Darn you justahairFalconloopy!

Luva65wagon
July 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
I know... this is really a temptation. Oh wait... we live in Washington. I'll wait 5 minutes and then decide.

:cool:

justahairFalconloopy
July 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I know... this is really a temptation. Oh wait... we live in Washington. I'll wait 5 minutes and then decide.

:cool:

:D...ya...what with the 5 days of sun we get in the Northwet!!
tuff call;)

Luva65wagon
July 6th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Here's a cool link:

http://www.lovefords.org/60ford/falconair_1.htm

Luva65wagon
July 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Found this picture and thought it might give some you ideas on how to install AC in your car...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/whoaaanelly/th_ACrepair.jpg (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/whoaaanelly/ACrepair.jpg)

:shift:

justahairFalconloopy
July 20th, 2008, 11:27 AM
:whatthe: ..... :rotflmao:

61RANCHERO
October 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I have a 61 Ranchero with American AC on a 144, it is as someone said... Turn it off to pass, go uphill, or otherwise accellerate, but feels nice going slow! Am building a 170 for it now, should be a little beter.

Good Luck.

Glenn

diggette
November 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM
my 61 ranchero is stock 170 with a/c and it still works. cool:cool:
good luck with that. shouldn't be a problem