PDA

View Full Version : Near Help Near Bremerton

Nathan289
September 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Guys,

I've located a possible wagon in Bremerton (again)
And I was hoping maybe someone can go look at it for me before I drive many miles and moons to look at it and possibly purchase this wagon...

If anyone is in the area and has nothing better to do this weekend I will possibly compensate you for your time...

email me or post here..
Thank You,
Nathan

wolf6alone at aol dot com

Jeff W
September 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hi Nathan, I'm sorry to say that I won't be over there anytime soon. It's a ferry ride for most of us. I know there was one gentleman that went to the regionals that was from that side of the water. I hope someone can give it a glance for you. I know how hard it is to search long distance. Keep us posted.

Luva65wagon
September 12th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Under normal circumstances I'd be all over that for you, but I've been working against the clock to get a trade-show booth designed/built/crated and shipped by Tuesday... so it's not a good weekend for me. :(

Have you looked in the FCA member list to see if another member is near there? Did they post a lot of good pictures somewhere? That can often be a lot cheaper than gas. :)

Nathan289
September 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Roger and fellow falconers,

The seller has been very helpful and sends pictures of everything I ask for..Has receipts for everything done to the car for its intire life. He is the third owner..
Seems to be very honest and striaght forward. He's also excited about the car possibly going to a falcon home..(cool)
He told me striaght up what is wrong with the car and I appreciate that..

It didn't have to be this weekend..I just threw that idea out there..

Nathan

Nathan289
September 13th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I've decided to take the plunge.. with the great photos and the effort the seller is taking to answer my questions and work with me. I've agreed to purchase the wagon..

the seller is even willing to deliver it to me for a small extra fee..

Here is some eye candy..

Nathan

falcon cobra
September 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Boy what a nice little wagon! is that a stock color? not sure if I ever seen one that shade of brown, looks like it was garaged a good part of it's life.did you get a good price?:shift:

john h

Jeff W
September 14th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Congratulations! I think that is the guy that is painted Hummer Orange. From what I remember in the ad (if that is the same one) there was quite a lot already done to it and very little required to make it a wonderful piece of gear.

If you run across a clean 2-door (60-63) in your neck of the woods, drop me a line. There is a project 2-door in Newman Lake for $1,200 but it's more that I want to take on right now.

Send us more pictures and a description after it arrives. It's always a good education to see how closely a seller's description matches the actuals.

Jeff

Nathan289
September 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Jeff,
Yep that is the wagon. it is 2004 Hummer Orange..
It is in very nice condition, but needs some engine help.

and that 2 door wagon in Newman lake, if it was that white one.. is WAY over priced.. it is the only falcon that I have ever seen where the window cowl behind the fender has rusted away.. There was so much stuff on the floor inside the car in an effort to hide the fact that there isnt any floors...
My personal opinion is that white wagon is a parts car only as it would cost bookoo bucks to restore..

Nathan

Nathan289
September 14th, 2008, 10:25 AM
more pics.. I have lots of them..

Jeff W
September 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Looks nice. Thanks for the word on the White 2-door in Newton Lake.

Jeff

Nathan289
September 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I'll keep my eye out for a tudor wagon.

Luva65wagon
September 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Wow... good thing [for you] I didn't go look at that for you... might have had to say "Ooh... no, this thing is really, really bad." :D

OK... so what was the ad price on this that's so scary cheap?

Nathan289
September 14th, 2008, 09:07 PM
roger check your private messages

Luva65wagon
September 14th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Be sure to post your initial impressions when you see it... and what you find wrong with it.

Nathan289
September 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm hoping the car is exactly as how its pictured..
Not physically seeing the car before buying it scares me. But it looks good in the photos and i know about the engine problem. I look forward to the challenge and if its completely broke it will give me an excuse to finally build that 351W stroker motor that i happen to keep tripping over...

Just kidding.. If I have to i'll build another I-6 and still have less than what i paid for my 61 so I wont complain to loudly..

But watch out for the questions, come Oct 4th they'll be posting galore....

2 more falcons and i get to start my own chapter of the FCA:rocker: I'm allowed to register my kids right? We'll call it the Cooper Chapter. You have to own a falcon and change your last name to cooper..to become a member. :WHATTHE:

redfalken
September 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Hmmm...Kenny Cooper. Sounds like a B-movie actor from the 1940s!

Nice lookin' wagon Nathan! I love the 2-tone seats. Hope they're in good shape. Is that the original rubber mat?

Looking forward to your report after you get to crawl around it for awhile.

Nathan289
September 15th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Kenny,
The interior is supposed to be all orginal.. though it needs a headliner and new rubber mat..

Does anyone know where to find the orginal style rubber carpet?:D
I couldn't locate such a beast last night while thumbing through my falcon catelogs, but I know someone carries it..
I did find an aftermarkt source that carries it in different colors but not the orginal plaid?? pattern..

Keep an eye out for a good roof rack.. and a surf board..

Nathan

Luva65wagon
September 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Gosh... it was only a few weeks ago I saw a complete roof rack on ebay. I was so tempted... until I thought about screwing things to my pristine roof.

I looked long and hard for a rubber rear mat for the bed area. If you ever run across one of those (or maybe two if you need one too), let me know.

October 4th! I'd never have the patience to wait that long. I'd go crazy. :NERVOUS:

Nathan289
September 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Roger,

I can't wait either.. I've always been crazy so its hard to tell if Im going any crazier.

The wagon has what looks like a brand new mat in the cargo area..
My dream is to one day install a wood bed like a truck in the back.. I have the same dream about the ranchero too.. If I ever get that accomplished I'll send you my mat.. Ever think of finding a truck bed mat and cut it down??

Have you seen any place that sells the rubber carpet??

I saw the most presitine roof rack a year or two ago and even almost bought it just becasue I knew I would one day get a wagon.. now I wish I did.. I'll keep watching e-bay.. Not sure if I want to drill hole in the roof either..

Nathan

Luva65wagon
September 15th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Roger,

Ever think of finding a truck bed mat and cut it down??

Nathan

I've looked at them and seen a few "cut in" but it's just not the same as a pre-cut... maybe NOS. The material is too think for the most part. I keep looking though. I'll take you up on your offer if you ever decide to part with it.

justahairFalconloopy
September 15th, 2008, 11:52 PM
SWEEET wagon Nathan!![thumb]
welcome to the darkside:ROTFLMAO:

once youve had wagon...you'll never go back:BEER:

Nathan289
September 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
If the wagon is a rocking dont come a knockin:WHATTHE:
Still not sure when i'll find the time to drive three falcons, but Wagons are so cool..

Plans are to add wide whites to her and some trim rings:rocker:

If I find a rack I'll buy it, not sure if I want to put holes in the car though..

Nathan

kdda191
September 16th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Hey all. Im the one selling the 62 to Nathan. I never knew about this site until today when Nathan turned me on to it. I am a honest guy when it comes to cars. I have had over 40 pass thru my yard since 2000 when I started demo derby. I have sold a few also. I have answered every question Nate and Jen have asked. I have also provided as detailed of pictures I can get! It truley is a sweet long top! I just dont have the time or power to fix it. I bought it and only got to put 1026 miles on it. The owner before me painted it the orange. It looks ok. Its a Maaco job. But it looks good for the body style. I always got tons of looks and thumbs up while driving, and a local shows lots of complements. I just want to say Im glad to drive 6+ hrs to deliver this mini bird to a Falcon lover! Who does that anymore?[thumb]

Nathan289
September 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Dan,
Glad i was able to show you a place for falcon lovers..
I bet some of the guys around here would love to hear about your dad's 66 ranchero and see those pictures of when it was a drag truck..

I can't wait for the wagon to show up.. Jen on her lunch break, went and picked up a vintage 62 license plate for it.. The 62 will be registered as a collector vehicle like the other falcons..

Nathan

justahairFalconloopy
September 18th, 2008, 11:19 PM
hey Nathan
its not a big deal...but the wagons without roof racks were harder to find..
...just a point...i aint putting one on mine...unless they came with it...but then...i'm goofy that way:banana:

redfalken
September 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Keep an eye out for a good roof rack.. and a surf board..

Nathan

I was talking to a younger guy here at work who surfs and he says the older surf boards from the 60's are REALLY pricey if you can find them. Maybe as much as the car costs. They were wood and made of Koa. Would look very cool though!

Nathan289
September 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, a surfboard the cost as much as the car?! Well, I don't think I'll be getting one of those then.
The Surf board thing is just an idea anyways, would have to get a roof rack first, and then I'm not sure if I would install the rack..

Looks like I get to cut down on my wait time.. Delivery has been bumped up a week.. Yippy!!

Gives me time to figure out the engine problem and get it fixed.. My Son's Homecoming dance is Oct 4th and he wants to use one of the falcons as his "limo"
Seeing how the wagon has four doors it would make a better "Limo".

Nathan

redfalken
September 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Dang! :WHATTHE: I just noticed the list of cars in your signature is getting pretty long!

pbrown
September 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Yup. Now you need to find a convertible to round out the collection.

Nathan289
September 20th, 2008, 08:39 AM
A hardtop will be next...
Then maybe an econoline pick-up..

Nathan

justahairFalconloopy
September 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Hey Nathan
name the wagon "TUNK"....keeps the flow:D

Nathan289
September 21st, 2008, 09:29 AM
Maybe....

The 61 has thick wall exhaust tubing so as it warms and cools it makes a tink noise... So we named it "tink"

The ranchero is named Tank for who knows what reason.. maybe becasue its green??

Maybe the enigne noise on the wagon will make a Tunk sound....

After yesterday's car show and the majority of the people preferring the blue 61 over the ranchero, mostly becasue the blue is an interesting color.. we should have painted the ranchero the same color blue, that way we could have a flock of blue birds..

Nathan

Nathan289
September 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Hi guys got the Car Saturday.

First off I'd like to say Dan Is a class act and made the deal right.
The car's engine trouble is a alot more severe than we had hoped for.. Cool that Dan hung out while we tore into her. Good news is we'll know the condition of the motor when we're done..

The following images are intended for an adult audience. Viewer discretion is advised.

pictures will follow when site is fixed..

Nathan

Nathan289
September 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM
The following photos are attended for mature viewing audiences.. Viewer discretion is advised..

I should have the "new engine" back this weekend, which allows me time to do the final assembly and have it running by monday..

Next question is where to find good floor pans at?

Nathan

Jeff W
September 30th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Wow, I have seen some destroyed pistons in my time but not any that have blown their lid. Thanks for sharing.

redfalken
September 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM
So I assume it sucked a valve?? That's pretty wicked.

When I did my floor pans I bought a few sections from Falcon Enterprises. The bottom part of the firewall. Other sections I made from some sheet metal I bought.

pbrown
October 1st, 2008, 04:54 PM
Next question is where to find good floor pans at?

You can get them from Autokrafters or Dearborn.

Nathan289
October 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
No sucked valve..
I think something got dropped into the motor.
The piston has a bunch of threaded imprints on it.

I did find out today that everything else with the motor is well.. no cracked head or block. The engine was rebuilt sometime in the past and is currently .030
The head will be getting hardend valve seats and it needed four new valves.

Nathan

kdda191
October 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM
Ahhh so it was 030 over.

No sucked valve..
I think something got dropped into the motor.
The piston has a bunch of threaded imprints on it.

I did find out today that everything else with the motor is well.. no cracked head or block. The engine was rebuilt sometime in the past and is currently .030
The head will be getting hardend valve seats and it needed four new valves.

Nathan

Nathan289
October 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Actually it was still standard, but the last builder ridged reamed it and reamed it to .030.

So now its .040 over and the crank is .010/.010

I got the engine put back together and in the car.

I now have a neutral safety switch problem needs adjustment..

the gas tank was full, but it wasn't all gas.. ever see white gas that doesn't burn when you take a lighter to it?

While trying to start the new engine it popped the new head gasket.. I hope....
SO I have the head being pressure tested and I ordered hardend washers for the head bolts..

Crossing my fingers...

and we've named her Penny not because she is penny colored, but because she's costing us a pretty penny.:ROTFLMAO: just kidding.. we named her penny becasue she's orange.

Nathan

kdda191
October 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
White gas like what????

Nathan289
October 15th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Not sure what it was. but the gas I drained out of the tank was cloudy white.(no odd smell, no gas smell either) I'm assuming a lot of water. It didn't smell like gas and wouldn't burn. I got almost 5 gallons of it, before I got the last 5 gallons that smelled like gas.(I'll add water remover to it and try using it in a lawn mower the second 5 gallon)

Tore the carb apart to clean it out. it was full of the cloudy stuff also.

Added a couple of bottle of water remover to the gas tank and filled it half full and pumped the lines till I got clean looking gas.

I got the head back today and it pressure tested fine so it must have been a head gasket problem.

Nathan

Luva65wagon
October 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM
So, it was heavier than gas, since the gas came out last. Humm... Maybe it "was" milk. Dan has no clue? It did have a gas cap on it, didn't it? I do know that water and oil will froth up white, but I don't think gas and water do that. Very weird.

kdda191
October 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
So, it was heavier than gas, since the gas came out last. Humm... Maybe it "was" milk. Dan has no clue? It did have a gas cap on it, didn't it? I do know that water and oil will froth up white, but I don't think gas and water do that. Very weird.

I had no idea!!!!!! It did have a gas cap on it. I think I may know something now that Nathan talked about it. Im not saying I put anything in there, but I think somebody may have as a way of messing with me.... It makes perfect sense to me. I think Nathan and I talked about my "ex cousin" If you remember that Nathan, I can tell you that's the reason why there is crap in the tank. Im gonna go home and check the other Falcon now... If its in there too, I know 100% it was him. Ill let you know.

Luva65wagon
October 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Thankfully the operative word there was "EX", so hopefully it's way behind you now. Good luck checking on the other tank...

Jeff W
October 16th, 2008, 11:15 PM
... if it was malice, maybe you should check your other falcon out a bit closer. I'd take off the carburetor and fish around in the intake manifold with a magnet on a wire. You may pull out a screw before it eats a piston in that motor too.

Nathan289
October 17th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hate to say it Dan,
But the guys are right.. something was dropped down the carb and it gernaded Penny's engine.

The broken rocker was just an effect of the problem and not part of the cause. When tearing down the motor I got to thinking there is no way a broken adjuster screw would make it into the cylinder.. It had to be dropped down a carb hole..

I was thinking sabotage or maybe, "maybe" someone dropped something when changing a carb??:o

Next question if water and gas arent cloudy white.. what does bleach look like when mixed with gas?? Though it didn't smell like bleach or anything else for that matter.. not even gas untill the very last..

I drained the tank and flushed the lines. put 4 gallons of premium with some water remover..

Good News is I got Penny running last night and broke her in.. I got her dialed in a little bit better tonight.. I'm using the carb off of Tink though..

Problem. Penny wont Idle below 700 rpms.. I dial the idle down and she stalls.. I'm thinking vacuum leak, but I have no idea where..

Nathan

Nathan289
October 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
First engine picture is assymbled and in the car
The second picture is a picture of the engine break in.
The carb linkages are different between a 61 and a 62 so i got toasty hands, but she never got over 1/2 temp on the gauge.

Nathan

Luva65wagon
October 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Nathan,

If it's a vacuum leak, the idle should go up if you cover the carb with your hand. There's not a lot of places for there to be one, so if that's what it is, it shouldn't be hard to locate. Grab a spray bottle with water and just go about spraying all around the ports and such, and if it finds the source the idle will change.

Good luck and post more pictures.

kdda191
October 18th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hate to say it Dan,
But the guys are right.. something was dropped down the carb and it gernaded Penny's engine.

The broken rocker was just an effect of the problem and not part of the cause. When tearing down the motor I got to thinking there is no way a broken adjuster screw would make it into the cylinder.. It had to be dropped down a carb hole..

I was thinking sabotage or maybe, "maybe" someone dropped something when changing a carb??:o

Next question if water and gas arent cloudy white.. what does bleach look like when mixed with gas?? Though it didn't smell like bleach or anything else for that matter.. not even gas untill the very last..

I drained the tank and flushed the lines. put 4 gallons of premium with some water remover..

Good News is I got Penny running last night and broke her in.. I got her dialed in a little bit better tonight.. I'm using the carb off of Tink though..

Problem. Penny wont Idle below 700 rpms.. I dial the idle down and she stalls.. I'm thinking vacuum leak, but I have no idea where..

Nathan

Sorry the car was such a pile.... I guess I should have just demo'd it or scrapped it.... Probably would have been better off doing that.... I am sorry.:(

Luva65wagon
October 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Bite your tongue sir! :WHATTHE: I think you sent it to the right place. It would have been either Nathan or me if he didn't want it! Just let's hope your other one hasn't suffered the same fate.

Nathan289
October 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Dan,
I'm not trying to make you feel bad and the car isnt a pile. Just a little more challenging than I hoped for..
The wife and i see great potential in Penny and by spring she will be on the road. I hope to have her driving before the snow flies.

The car isn't giving me too many fits lately..

I got the new motor in and running which is great news..
Now I just have to get it dialed in..

I haven't checked for the leak yet.. I did try covering the carb to richen up the mixture and it didn't help..

I'm thinking either valve timing though i adjusted it twice now.
I'm thinking maybe low engine vacuum do to the rings not being seated yet??? it runs great at 700rpms so i'll just leave it there and try driving it..

I pulled Tink's carb off of Penny and checked the fuel bowl to discover more water. not much but it was definately water.
I'm rebuilding Penny's carb and I'll try sampling the gas for water.

I'll post more in a second..

Nathan

Luva65wagon
October 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Nathan,

Water doesn't burn well, so I wouldn't worry much about how well it runs until you've assured yourself that there is no more water in there. You may have to put a fuel/water separator in for a few tanks full. These are found in boats mostly.

I doubt it's much to do with rings seating since you bored it.

Nathan289
October 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Roger,
I'll have to find a water fuel seperator. As I have two bottles of heat and some sta-bil in there now and i can still see water in the bottom of the carb bowl..

I tried running her last night with a rebuilt carb.. Runs extremely rich no mater what i do.. I could only get the idle down to 800 rpms this time.. ran her for 30 minutes even tried driving her.. made it a round the block.. Though it stalled quite a bit.. runs even worse in gear..

Cool News is Penny has electric wipers.. The AM radio even works..

I gues the fuel is my problem though I have set of points and condinser waiting to be intsalled.

I also think the carb is missing a part.. the carb id a F-1 1100 series carb.. I believe for a 63 and later. The exploded view of the carb shows a check ball and a weight.. It seems to be missing the weight I wonder if that would make it run rich??

Nathan

Luva65wagon
October 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Uh... yeah, I think so. I don't know of many internal things that can be missing. That and water could make life a bit rough.

Was this part missing when you took it apart? Most of these parts come in good kits. My last kit, I think for much the same carb, had these little parts I think.

Gosh, it was only a month ago I should remember, but you know what they say... the memory is the first thing to go... and... I can't remember the second thing. Can you post a close-up of the carb in question and I'll see if it the same as mine and whether I have these parts.

Nathan289
October 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Roger,
I'm going to try and scan the exploded view of the carb..ok I cheated I took a photo instead..
The part number I'm missing is part #25 . called the weight-pump discharge.
The kit came with the ball, but not the weight..
I don't know if the carb had it or if I misplaced it..
I took the carb apart quite a few times before i rebuilt it. The check balls were rusted in there and I turned it up side down without knowing all the parts..:o

I'm thinking I'm going to drop the tank and try and flush it with something to remove the water..
I have to install the electric fuel pump any how..

Nathan

MacDee
October 23rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Nathan,
I discovered "the weight" in the exploded view the last time I rebuilt my carb. There wasn't a weight in the carb, and there wasn't one in the kit, so I made one out of an old slot car axle (1/8" dia steel). Cut it so it looked about the same length as the one in the exploded view.
It seemed to work. The "flat spot" I had been experiencing before the rebuild was gone after the rebuild. It's sure worth a try anyway!

Nathan289
October 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I'm going to try an find it on my grage floor this weekend. I'll sweep everything into a pile and then use a magnet and see what I come up with. Otherwise I'll be trying your slot car fix..

I think you can order weird parts like the weight from pony carbs, but you have to have a $20 minum order..
I asked about rebuilding my carb and lets just say if the carb being rebuilt needs any parts it would be less expensive to buy the new carb for $400.

I looked into buying another reman and it runs around $200 from Holley reman.. $150 from Vapex (Vapex carbs suck)

I want to get the carb fixed right and then try running the engine off of a gas can with out any water in it and see if it runs better..

Nathan

falcon cobra
October 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hi there nathan ,someone must have a carb laying around somewhere, but 20 bucks is better than paying 400 for what ever...those carb rebuilders are thieves and thats it...thor had one from pony and they didn't give a rats if it worked or not, you bought it you got it ... .... my buddy rebuilt his dual carbs on his corvair for 30.00 and it runs great,after we fixed the holes in the floats.... john h

Luva65wagon
October 25th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I can't find a spare one of these, but they should be easy to make. It's a weight to keep the ball against the seat. Mine was brass, but steel would probably work. Just don't make it too long or the ball won't come off the seat.

Nathan289
October 28th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I've located a carb shop in town that says they have all the parts for these carbs. I'm going down to see what they have Thursday.

I'm in the process of draining the tank again. So far I have 1 gallon of this mistery fluid. I'll have to take pics.. this is after I drained it once.

I'm going to drop the tank and have it cleaned..

Nathan

Nathan289
April 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I finally got the tank cleaned. Bad fuel doesn;t seem to be a problem anymore.

I finally got all the missing parts to the autolite 1100 carb. I even had a carb shop flow test it for me to find out whats wrong.. other than needing throttle shaft bushings and it having an extra vacuum port for the power valve the carb was "supposed to be Good"

Tried tunning the engine and carb after getting it rebuilt.. and the car over heated and caused a leak in the radiator..

Replaced the radiator and rebuilt the heater box while it was apart..

I took the carb off the wife's ranchero and bolted it on to the new engine and she fired up and idled like she was supposed to..[thumb]

She had a miss on #1. I checked for spark (good) I checked for compression (good) I checked and adjusted the valves I checked the timing, only runs well at 15* BTC.. Pulled the other 5 plugs and discovered that i'm lean across the whole engine.. I'm thinking vacuum leak..

next night I change the carb base gaskets and tighten any other possible sources of leaks, change all the plugs with new.. Fired her up and still had the miss.. So I adjusted the mixture and she smoothed out.. Got her nice and warm and corrected the idle speed and the timing now at 10*BTC
Started running a little rough so i checked the valve lash again since its finally run long enough to set warm.. The valves needed to be adjusted and now she purs like a kitten..

i took her out on her madien voyage last night. We went aroun d the block 3 times and put half a mile on her.
I even romped on her to see if there was any pining or knock, all sounded good..

I do have a carb issue still.. one it's not the wagons carb and i need to locate another Holley carb.. no autolights for me.. so i can put the wife's ranchero back together.
second issue is after i got on it. accelerated hard and let it return to idle the carb flooded like the float was stuck. it might be too much fuel pressure or a sticky float, not sure yet..

it runs rich or atleast smells that way and I get black soot out the tail pipe, but when I try to lean it out it runs like crap.. the plugs don't look that rich either..

I need to get the floor pans in so I can install the carpet.
Also does anyone know how to install a headliner?

Good news is She's finally on the road..

nathan

Jeff W
April 28th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Hi Nathan, I will need to put a headliner in the wagon some day also. I haven't done it but I know you should remove the windshield and the side windows to do a good job. I have also heard that it is very difficult to locate replacement bows is you happen to "mis-place" them during removal. Mark each one as you remove it and always mark the same side (i.e. drivers side) sou you replace them in the same spot.

I am considering removing the insulation under he headliner and replacing it with some of the roll-on sound deadener... like edead in a can. I think the paint of stuff wodl stop any rust from forming and I wouldn't worry about the adhesive failing and the weight of "Fatmat" or Dynamat) from ruining the otherwise flawless headliner installation.

Take some good pictures so I can learn from your mistakes.

My floorboards should arrive this week. I ended up ordering both fronts and one toe... $187 including shipping.

Nathan289
April 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I was reading the ford manual tonight and it says nothing about removing the windows..
Though I've been told by many that its a must and when I did my headliner in my mustang fastback I had the windows removed..
so who knows.. maybe I'll see if I can replace it without pulling the windshield..
Not a single shop I called suggested removing the side windows..
I got quotes anywhere from $150 to $300 not including the window removal.. so ouch this is getting expensive..

I ordered a front toe board and front pan from autokrafters awhile ago.
I have the floor pretty much cut out I just have to trim the pan and weld it in.. I seem to be lacking the motivation to do that job..

maybe now that i can drive it, I'll be more motivated to finish her.

Anyone know where i can find some Rusteaze medicated bumper oinment?
I have some rusty bumpers..

Nathan

BillP 98201
April 29th, 2009, 06:52 AM
LOL Nathan

Whats next Cooperstown WA?

Luva65wagon
April 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Nathan,

Not that I've done it on mine yet, I've done all the investigative work and you have to pull all the trim and glass with the rubber seals. So, that's windshield, the windlace over the front doors, the trim above the rear windows, the quarter windows and the upper window track channel (and the side track channels to get the upper out). Then you can stretch the new headliner and glue it under and around all the pinch mouldings and trim pieces. The only reason I have yet to do it is because I've never wanted to risk breaking the quarter windows before they had replacement rubbers (would have needed to save those, making it hard to remove glass). They now have the rubber, but oh, what a job.

Glad to hear you have it running though. That's a huge step forward.

Nathan289
May 2nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
I ordered the correct carb..
So now I have a Holley 1909 (i think) it's a Holley anyways
and it looks loke the ones listed in the ford manual..

Bolted it on and it ran right out of the box..
Had a small vacuum leak got that fixed and dialed the idle down a bit. It wistled when I accelerated.. We're going to rename her whistling dixie, but I got that fixed.
I think its running a little lean as the plugs look breand new still and I had it running for almost 45 minutes..
I did a few other minor details while I was out in the garage, but It looks like I'll be able to start driving her..

i looked into the repair manual again.. For the falcon it doesn;t say anything about removing the windows.. but In the Comet section it does say you have to remove the front window and all stationary glass, plus the rear window track..

I've called around to shops and they want $300 plus to install the headliner and thats not including the removal of windows..

We're talking one big job..

Nathan

Luva65wagon
May 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Yep... I bought a headline 10 years ago and when I realized what it was going to take to install -- I "gave it away" as a door prize. I don't to this day have a new headliner and I was closer last summer to being able to do it as I've been in a while. I'd not trust most yahoo's to touch my car, much less pull glass that isn't exactly easy to find. The job really entails all I mentioned earlier...

Nathan289
May 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Labor to install a headliner $300 to $400
R&R of all glass required to install headliner $300
Window gaskets or seals $300
Headliner $80
Grand total $1000

So my wife is presently sewing up the old one..
I'll slowly collect the pieces to to finish the job and try to install it myself..

I think I'm missing one headliner bow though..

Currently I have the floor cut out.

Nathan

Jeff W
May 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM
:WHATTHE:Gulp... Nathan, don't take this the wrong way... is your wife for hire?:ROTFLMAO:

Luva65wagon
May 7th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I doubt I'd do it for less that $1K

Nathan289
May 8th, 2009, 11:35 AM
If I can figure out how to forward photos from my cell phone to my e-mail I'll post pictures.
It took 3 hours to stich up one seem from pillar to pillar.
The bow is missing so it isnt taunt but looks better than the hog rings someone used on the rear seams.

She's going to go back and sew up the other seems. this will atleast make the headliner presentable..

I'm thinking to replace the headliner with a wood slat headliner.. kinda like the wagons from the 30's &40's when they used wood..
Paint the roof on the inside and then stain some wood slats and install.. Ony if I had a squire wagon..

Nathan

Nathan289
May 11th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I've spent two days driving penny and what a blast. it nice to finally be able to enjoy driving it.

I got the pans trimmed and tack welded in.. I've discovered welding is not my strongest skill.. but I have a cheap Harbor freight mig welder that uses flux core wire. I'm also using wire that is much bigger than most people use. So my welds are anything but pretty but as my friend said they sure are strong.. Its under the carpet right??

I have a brake pull to the right and after cleaning an adjusting the brakes its still there.. So I'm going to go back and try again.. Good news is the brakes look brand new..

The car surges when in park.. If I rev the engine it lunges forward anyone got ideas?

I also need the 4th headliner bow. thats counting back from the front window..

Nathan

Luva65wagon
May 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Nathan,

I have two headliner bows from something... can't tell you what. I think they were from a 64 Ranchero I had once. They are identical to each other and I'm not sure what the differences are front to rear. Do you have an measurements you'd expect them to be?

The two I have are 48" with the ends parallel to each other and a "bow" induced.

Jeff W
May 11th, 2009, 10:02 PM
"I have a brake pull to the right and after cleaning an adjusting the brakes its still there.. So I'm going to go back and try again.. Good news is the brakes look brand new.."

I had bought a 1958 Rambler was originally like that... it almost threw you into the ditch on hard stops.

I had the front drums off three or four times inspecting, cleaning and everything and adjusting. I was younger then and my friend, a pretty good mechanic, came over and spotted the trouble immediately. The last guy to install the new brake shoes had followed the illustration the manual to the "T".

The manual only shows one picture, I think it was the left wheel... and assumes the installer will copy the MIRROR image on the right side. The leading and trailing shoe were switched on the "non illustrated" side.

I swapped the two shoes and it solved the problem.

Nathan289
May 12th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Jeff,
Good tip.. I didn't even look to see if the shoes were installed corrrectly.. I just looked at condition of parts.. I washed them and readjusted..
I also packed the wheel bearings.. I notice the right drum was extremely warm while the left drum was cool.. meaning the right side is doing the work..

Roger, I have no idea.. I havent removed the other bows yet.. I read somewhere that the bows are color coded for location on a wagon and its not good to mix them up..

I'll have to see if there is any info on which color I'm missing and what the shape is..

Nathan

Luva65wagon
May 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
And I'll look tomorrow to see what colors are on these. They're outside kind-of packed away at the moment...

Luva65wagon
May 16th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Nathan,

The two I have are yellow at the ends -- and I didn't take them to the swap meet or see any others while I was there.

Nathan289
May 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
hmm.
I'll have to check the book, I dont remember seeing yellow listed..

I might have the lead on the header bows and the tailgate window crank parts..

How did the swap meet go?

The car show here was good. Took Penny to her first show she got her first dash plaque. Got lots of comments and I brought 10 rainier falcon club flyers. left them on the window and only came home with two..

Not bad seeing how there was two falcons (Ours) and one ranchero. So there were falcon people out there somewhere..

I'll post pics later this week

Nathan

Luva65wagon
May 17th, 2009, 09:20 PM
How did the swap meet go?
Nathan

Well... I now have to figure out what to do with a 2.77 tranny.... again. :( Got rid of one of those once and it's twin came back!

Anybody need one? [thumb]

Otherwise, we had a good weekend of it and made a few bucks for the club and met a ton of Falcon people we didn't know. So in all. [thumb] [thumb]

Nathan289
May 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Roger,
Sorry to hear that it didn't sell..

Glad to hear all went well

Nathan

Nathan289
June 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I got the brake pull fixed...

I changed the shoes.. the rears were cracked.. and the fronts were a might as well..
I turned the drums.. they are all with in specs..
I changed the front hoses and finally the wheel cylinders and hardware
I did most of this in steps.

Changed the shoes, hoses, and drum turning in the second attempt at fixing the pull..
Didn't fix it.
So next was the wheel cylinders.. re bleed and re adjusted..
Brake pull gone..

Now i have brake chatter.. step on the brakes and it sounds like someone is locked in the trunk and wants out..

the brake shoes i have available to me aren't the greatest.. though priced right..
I plan on beveling the leading edge in a tempt to fix it..
The other problem is finding the correct harware for the early falcons.. the hold down clip isnt available anymore so one has to search for usuable hardware..

I used a mustang kit with hold down pins that someone else had previously installed.. i think the hardware is my biggest problem... allows the shoes to move too much..

I've been driving the snot out of her.. i now have a front shock that is leaky.. so guess what i'm doing for father's day??

Nathan

redfalken
June 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Hey Nathan,

I've got a box of misc. little brake parts. Send me a list and I'll fill it if I can. No charge.

Luva65wagon
June 16th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Nathan,

That chatter sounds very odd. All freshly turned drums should be smooth as silk. You sure you don't have something that came off in there and is getting pulverized? :WHATTHE:

I may have a few brake parts laying around too, but I've worked on so many cars they may or may not be for a Falcon. I do have the entire front brakes removed from when I did the disc conversion.

Find a good parts house and you should be able to ala carte the pieces from looking in the picture pages and finding similar parts that are available

Nathan289
June 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Kenny& roger,

Unfortunately no one and I mean no one makes the hold pin and clips for the early falcons anymore..

You can use the mustang stuff which works by adding a washer to the hold down pin. the washer is needed because the hole in the baking plate is larger than the pin..

I used all the springs out of the mustang kit and reused the hold down pins that were already in place.. someone either used the stock falcon stuff or found pins that fit without using a washer..

The problem I'm having is either the pins are too long and not hold the shoes tight against the backing plate or the springs are too short.

I basiclly need the four hold down pins and four clips instead of the hold springs...

Nathan

Luva65wagon
June 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
The length of the pins are based upon the width of the shoes. What width are you dealing with? My wagon had 1 1/2 rears and 2" fronts IIRC. Using washers on the backing plate wouldn't be a bad way to go if you had to -- or just convert the entire brake system over to the Mustang setup (including backing plates) and I'm sure those parts are available forever. Lots of ways to deal with this. Stock is never permanent. :D

Nathan289
June 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Roger,
If I remember correctly the fronts and the rears on my wagon were both 2.25"
Just looked up the part numbers i bought and yes they were the 2.25.

I bought a 6 cylinder mustang harware kit as it has all the springs i needed. I didn't use the mustang hold down pins because I didn't want to do the washer trick so I reused the pins that were there..

The shoes didn't make any noise with the old hardware so i'm thinking that maybe the hold down springs that used arent correct.. So I plan on opening up the brakes again. (this will be number 4) and using the old hardware that i kept..

In the future I plan on a disc brake conversion, but I wasnt ready to buy new wheels and tires to make that happen.. so i'm patching the brake system till that day arrives..
Unfortunately my patch has pretty much replaced everything so I now have all new brakes..

Looking forward to another car show this weekend..

Nathan