PDA

View Full Version : WTB 3.25 rear gears

Hal Cogburn
February 15th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I'm looking to trade out what I believe to be 3.55 rear gearing to something like a 3.25 ratio....the ideal situation would be to find someone that would like to exchange but if need be I would just purchase a set. I know I can buy rebuilt ones off the internet but really don't want to pay $700...

I need to know what model and year of cars the rear pumpkin would interchange....so I can search craigs list etc.

Any advice you folks have would be great....or if you know of someone that has a set let me know

Thanks
Hal

Jerry Kirby
February 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Hal,
When I did mine I used a set of Richmond gears I bought from Summit Racing. The part # out of the Summit cat was RMG--4901001 and they cost me $218. The guy that did mine lived down near Olympia. He completely rebuild my diff with the new gears, put in a posi everything new and heavy duty. I paid him $700. This was for all new parts and the posi not including what I paid for the gears. I think he would probably charge less just to change the gears out. I will search around for his number if you are interested.

Jerry
'65 Futura

Hal Cogburn
February 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Jerry...thanks for the information....I am hoping to find a complete 3rd member that I can have put in....used one would be just fine. I am hoping they are readily available...once I know where to look. If not I might just have to keep what I have....it is quite nice for acceleration purposes....but my preference would be something a little more freeway friendly. I know on my previous falcon Nathan was kind enough to change out the 3.55 for the 3.25 and it made a nice difference when driving 60-70 MPH....I have seen on ebay where a rebuilt one can be purchased in the $700 price range

Nathan289
February 18th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Yup and the 3.55 gear set is in my 61 falcon now. It's a little steep for the 170 but I'm hoping to fix that with a T-5 tranny swap.

Hal,
look for mustangs cougars comets Mavericks maybe some trucks will have an 8"..

I think mustang2s had 8"s in them though the axles were four lug, but that doesn't matter when you're after the pumpkin..

Nathan

Hal Cogburn
February 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks Nathan...I guess anything with an 8" will work....I see a lot of 8.8" but not what I need. If in your travels around Spokane you come across a 3.25 pumpkin let me know....I have been looking for a good reason to make a trip back to the east side.

Hal

Nathan289
February 22nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hal,
I found a set of 3.00 gears.
Proably lower than you want.. but the price doesn't seem bad..
http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/1045002982.html

Nathan

Hal Cogburn
February 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the lead Nathan....I have a lead locally on a 3.25...plus a 3.0 for $100. I like the idea of a 3.0 but not sure if given the engine, cam etc that I have if it would run enough RPM's to smooth out if cruising at 2200 RPM's....I think it has a 2600 Stall converter in it....how would that affect cruising a 200-2200 RPM's?

Even though this is a nice engine with lots of power...a kick to drive etc...I sure wish I had a mildly built 208-302 in it....I have started to look for someone that wants more horsepower and willing to put in a mild 289-302 as a trade. I'm even thinking about picking up a good 289 (cost does not seem that much) and having it installed...then sell mine...but that is a pain also....

Thanks
Hal