PDA

View Full Version : C4 question

InkedForLife
February 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hey all,
I have assembled most of the parts for my I6 to V8 conversion on the 65 Ranchero. One of the last things I need to find is a C4 trans. I know that the year of manufacture will make a difference, but I am not sure what the difference would be. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!
Troy

Jeff W
February 23rd, 2009, 11:08 PM
The January 2009 issue of the National Falcon News has an article that list "everything you will ever need to know" about the C-4 differences. If you don't have your copy, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Jeff

Futura
February 24th, 2009, 09:07 AM
The original C-4 on my 65 Falcon had the "green-dot" drive selection on it that let you start out in 1st gear, and it also has a second drive selection that lets you start out in 2nd gear. I prefer the later C-4 valve bodies that had the regular 1st, 2nd, and Drive selections. You can take a later valve body (after 1965) and replace the "green dot" version if desired. I've heard that the internals on a V-8 C-4 are stronger than the six cylinder versions. You will also need to think about what type throttle/tranny linkage you will be using...column or floor mounted shifter, etc.

Al Aiello

pbrown
February 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Look for a 72 or later C4. You want the 26 spline input shaft and a press in vacuum modulator. Get one that came from a V8 car. They had extra clutch disks.