PDA

View Full Version : Taillight gas cap?

papawfalcon
June 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I have a '62 RANCHERO that I tried to put the taillight on a hinge for the gas filler.I could not figure out a hinge.I seen here that someone did this. I seen a picture but it was small and couldn't see the hinge.Does anyone know who owns the car and get more pictures.Thanks for any and all help! Ken N.

Jeff W
June 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I pulled that picture from a site some time ago. I think it was a poor scan from a magazine article. Unfortunatly the resolution was low. I spent some time searching again and couldn't find the same site. The car was located in Australia.

papawfalcon
June 11th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Jeff thanks so much.I appriciate the effort.I have some aussie sites .I have a 250 cross flow in my RANCHERO.Thanks again Ken N.

Jeff W
June 11th, 2009, 10:52 PM
My concern with the tail light option on my wagon is the level of the "new" spout in the tail light is the same as the original level. I'm thinking I am going with the Jaguar cap on the top of the fender.

Step by step here:

http://www.rickwrench.com/

papawfalcon
June 12th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Thats ok but I like the shaved look and this cap is chrome may be for me if there was a fuel door on top the fender because as you menchened, if they were easier to fill this would be great.Thanks Ken N.

Jeff W
June 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM
This is an option I found on the TFFN. It may be fine for your Ranchero to put it inside the bed, not such a hot idea for a wagon.

papawfalcon
June 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I haven't finished it yet but I have the filler on the bottom hole.Cut the panel so one side is stationary .And the other end it's like a gas lid.I have an extra set of panels. Just got to finish the details.But wanted it behind the tail light.Thanks Ken N. I belong to TFFN and have seen this one before.

Jeff W
October 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Okay - Kenny and I (mostly Kenny) did some surgery on the wagon. We copied RickWrench's idea and used the Jaguar XJ6 cap.

I really appreciated Rick's postings - why reinvent the wheel.

Now I just need to connect the new cap to the tank. The tank is 1/2 full now so no rush :ROTFLMAO:

Another weekend of getting the car naked and it's ready for the paint shop. We were able to remove all the glass without any mishaps.

Luva65wagon
October 19th, 2010, 10:34 PM
No fair - you guys out there having all that fun...

Looks great Jeff. Great work too Kenny.

Luva65wagon
February 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Well - my cap like Jeff's came in today. That is a sweet cap for $25 (+s&h)! The Chrome looks high quality and it also looks like it'll be easy to get a key made for it. Have yet to get the bucket for it, but I have a feeling I'll have plenty of sheet metal to fabricate one from after the part-y party this weekend.
:D

68FalconSC
February 10th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Where are you locating these gas caps from ?

Jeff W
February 10th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Mine was off a junk car (80's Jaguar XJ-6) I found on ebay. just search - "Jaguar cap" or similar. There are usually dozens listed. I'd wait for one that comes with the key.

Luva65wagon
February 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Mine came from eBay too. Didn't get a key with mine. :( Looks easy enough to pull the lockset, so I'll get a key made for it.

Jeff W
October 19th, 2011, 10:19 PM
While looking for pictures of a round body with integrated back-up lights I ran into this variation of the hidden cap on the HAMB. Looks like the bucket is a stainless salad bowl and the slide may be a for a kitchen drawer.

Looks good.

Luva65wagon
October 20th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I like the Jag cap better. I'd hate to get to the filler neck in there... and then spill gas.

Stainless bowl though... humm...

Jeff W
December 24th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Take a look at this guy's gas cap. I'll also paste a link to his blog for more research. I would like to know more about it. Too late to change my set-up but maybe for the next.

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/falcon-wagon-flat-paint-flat-clear/

Luva65wagon
December 25th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I'm glad he made a change from where it was in earlier pictures. Here is his full blog link, which you can see what he used to have. I have not found any mention, so far, of this cap or the first try that was done. I'm not even sure if the old flip-up door was done by him or the previous owner.

Nice wagon though...

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/category/how-to/home-built/63-ford-falcon-project/

Tinrak
September 7th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I'm glad led tubes (http://www.niceledlights.com/category/led-lights/led-tube/) he made a change from where it was in earlier pictures. Here is his full blog link, which you can see what he used to have. I have not found any mention, so far, of this cap or the first try that was done. I'm not even sure if the old flip-up door was done by him or the previous owner.

Nice wagon though...

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/category/how-to/home-built/63-ford-falcon-project/

Can you provide bit of knowledge with LED technology?