View Full Version : Tech Day -- Part Two -- September 19th

Luva65wagon
August 26th, 2009, 10:07 PM
We're going to have another tech day in September at Gene's place. Gene didn't get much work done on his car that last tech day, so he's opened his place up again for us on the 19th of September to do a few more things to his -- and your's if you need something done. There's always plenty to do for all who can come.

The main thrust of this tech day will also be the installation of at least 2 dual master cylinder units. The club has decided to purchase the fittings needed to install these on your Falcon -- if you purchase the master cylinder and brake fluid. This will be a benefit of membership from here-on-out. So if you have been wanting to do this conversion -- come on out to Gene's with your car and the master cylinder in-hand and we'll get-er-done.

Gene will follow-up to this thread with address information and times we can converge upon his property.

SmithKid
August 29th, 2009, 08:11 AM
OK. My home (SmithKid's) is located at 7923 W. Glen Dr. in Everett. It is pretty easy to find:

From I-5 take the Hiway 526 exit (toward Everett Boeing plant)

Take the next exit to Evergreen Way & go North

Immediately move to the Left hand lane and turn Left on 79th

After 1 block, 79th turns Right onto Beverly. While still in that turn take the left turn lane onto Barbara Lane.

Barbara drops you onto an elongated circle. My home is on the West side of the circle on the East side of the street.

I hope many can make it. We had a great day last month, and much was accomplished on many cars. It was great meeting new faces and seeing their various Falcons.

Gene

JLP1977
August 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hooray! Looking forward to it! Maybe I can contribute more than wiping off black goo this time... :p

Jeff W
August 30th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Don't undersell the importance of that contribution. I just spent the last two hours wiping off black goo. The factory goop that they spray on the interior of the floor is tough stuff. I scrape off as much as I can, then use lacquer thinner to get to the bare metal.

Back to topic; it looks like I will be able to make this one. At least for a couple of hours.

JLP1977
September 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hello, all! Can someone post a link to what the master cylinder looks like and the best place to buy it? I was digging around the site (and on Falcon Parts), but am still not 100% sure what I need to get for our tech day.

J

redfalken
September 2nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
J,

I usually get parts at rockauto.com but these are not too expensive and you can get them at any parts store like Napa or Schucks. Just ask for a master cylinder for a 1967 Mustang with drum brakes in the front and the rear. They may ask what engine you have and just say a 200 six-cylinder.

Tell them you want a new one and not a remanufactured one. Make sure the two raised parts on the lid are the same size. If one is bigger then it's for a car with disk brakes on the front.

Here's a link to a page showing what it looks like www.thompdale.com/brakes/brakes.htm (http://www.thompdale.com/brakes/brakes.htm)

SmithKid
September 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
I didn't know enough to ask for a new MC when I ordered mine from RockAuto.com. I just went and looked at the box: it is indeed a re-manufactured MC. I wonder, should I consider sending it back and asking for a NEW one? The dude in the link you posted was quite adamant regarding this matter. Have you or anyone in the club actually had a rebuilt MC fail? Have you all used new units?
Gene

redfalken
September 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
I used a new one on mine and I think Jeff may have brought back a remanufactured once because the threads didn't seem right. Or that may have been JediJim, I don't remember!! Since I use my Falcon everyday and plan on being buried in it, I go with new when I can on most parts.

Jeff W
September 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
I have used rebuilt M/C without problems for years. I did buy one from Rockauto for the Convertible and noticed the threads were so worn out (rusted horribly then blasted away) it wouldn't hold the tube nut (on the end of the brake line) when I tightened it. I called Rockauto and told them my story. They sent a replacement next day and told me to dispose of the defective one.

The M/C I just bought for the Wagon is a rebuilt from Rockauto. I certainly don't have a problem with a rebuilt.

Luva65wagon
September 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Well clearly the thrust of the thread from that guy was the difficulty (sometimes) of getting the preassembled MC/pushrod apart.

Problems internally can be lots of heavy pitting caused by water, which almost always is in brake fluid, rusting the bottoms of all the the cylinders. Usually these pits can't be fully removed -- and who knows without taking it all apart how well these are scrutinized. My guess is that if they will send them with fitting threads blasted away to nothing, they don't do that much QC on these, Kind'a scary if you ask me. My new one was all of $35 twelve years ago, so if it's a difference of $20 -- go new if you can.

pbrown
September 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
For those of you planning the master swap. Please also consider the brake light switch relocation to the brake pedal. The old style MC uses a pressure activated switch. Cars today use a pedal mounted switch. The later is much more reliable. The switch is less than $10. The switch is for a 75 F100 truck.

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=NIE&MfrPartNumber=SL31181&PartType=422&PTSet=A

Here is a link for a new master from a 67 Mustang with manual drum brakes.
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BEN&MfrPartNumber=11485&PartType=230&PTSet=A

You can print these pages and take it into Schucks. They will match the prices. The over the counter prices is often higher.

Luva65wagon
September 2nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Patrick,

Jeff PM'd Kenny and I saying he was going to pick up 3 of these as well as the fittings needed. I think he can confirm whether he did or not here when he reads this.

Jeff W
September 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
I (the club) just purchased qty 6 of these switches for our club kit. Including shipping they work out to be $3.40 each

Kenny is pre-assembling several sets of wire harness pigtails as apparently he can't locate the Ford Factory Tool PN: 0325666 "wire-stretcher".

redfalken
September 4th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I know I had one of those wire stretchers before my last move! :p

I was looking at the rockauto.com list and some of the master cyclinders were marked either new or remanufactured and some weren't so I sent them an email. Here's the reply and a much nicer price!

Dear Kenny,

Thank you for your question. We offer the following new master cylinder for the 1967 Mustang with manual drum brakes:

DORMAN Part # M73323 More Info {First Stop #5472664, 5472969, C7AZ-2140-C, C7AZ-2140-H, C7AZ-2140-M, C7ZZ-2140-C, C9AZ-2140-D, D2AZ-2140-B} w/Manual Brakes; Bore = 1" $41.99 plus shipping

68FalconSC
September 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I SHOULD be able to come and lend a hand where ever possible. Heck, if nothing else, I can bring the ol' camera and take lots of pics, lol. Seriously though, I may not have a lot of mechanical knowledge/experience {at least nothing worth mentioning over the last 20 years or so} but I want to learn as much as possible. Jon

Currently experiencing some nasty grinding sounds from the drivers-side rear and no cash-ola to throw at it, lol.

redfalken
September 12th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hope you can make it. I'm sure we can find something for you to do! And someone just taking pictures is always a good thing...

Does the noise sound like an axle bearing? If it's a stock rearend, they're not that difficult to replace or very expensive. Don't let it get too bad. I once drove to the parts store to pick up a bearing because mine was making a racket. When I left the store, it seized up and I had to have it towed home. Luckily it didn't do much damage.

68FalconSC
September 14th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Kenny,
No, it's definately brake related. Happens when I use the brakes. The last few times I had to drive it when my Focus was down I would really ease up to stops to be as easy on them as possible. Not sure if it's just needs shoes or what. Also, ever since I've had it {about 18 months}, the front end kinda pulls to the passenger side when braking. Not sure whats up with that either. Jon

Luva65wagon
September 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
For anyone reading this we'll be supplying a lunch as well, like last time. Possibly pizza or something requiring less cleanup for Gene. We're also combining the Septermber meeting with this tech day. Notice is being sent to the list about these things.

MacDee
September 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'll be, hopefully, doing the final assembly of my C4 this Saturday while Carter continues with the new engine assembly.
Dang! I haven't been to a meeting in a long time! I swear I haven't dropped out!!

falcon cobra
September 14th, 2009, 07:28 PM
there was plenty of time to postpone your day of trans work to be at the tech day. after all what if we were all to busy the day we worked on your car in the heat [ very hot that day] you may not have had disk brakes on it today. so If I remember that day, you didn't even have it jacked up or the wheels off..so we had to do that to...some help and some don't care....oh well

redfalken
September 14th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Ughhhhh! John...you lack the same gene my ex-wife did at times. A little switch that makes you not express what you're thinking.

Gary's a very active, paid member of the club and doesn't need a guilt trip. Be civil. There's really no need for negative stuff on the forum. Pleeeeeeease???

gfly
September 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Tech day on Sept 19th conflicts with another tech day in Fife with Jaguar dealer which I'll be going to...not that I'm into Jaguars. It just happens
that they are having some sort of tech 101 session covering "everything".
We shall see? And, it is closer to home. Good luck to everyone in Everett
on the 19th.

Jeff W
September 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I will be there for the first 1/2 of the tech day. I guess that means I'll just have to work twice as hard[yay]

What time are we shooting for, I know we don't want to upset neighbors when Pat shows up with his glass-packs.

Sedanman
September 14th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Sorry, hate to miss another meeting/event but this weekend is my last chance to get out of town before summer's over. Hope to see some of you at the Shake the Shack show (see events listings) on the 26th with my freshly detailed engine :)

BadBird
September 15th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I will be there Lord willing. What is the start time and is there anything that I need to bring. I will bring basic tools, I have a welder and small air compressor, ???? Haven't been to a tech day before so not sure what is needed. Let me know. Larry

redfalken
September 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Last tech day started about 9:00 so I'm guessing that would be a good time. I think we're just doing dual master cylinders so any brake related tools would be good to bring "just in case"...

JLP1977
September 15th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I'll be there! But my "shifter hand" is fractured so my mom will be my personal chauffeur for the day. She knows a thing or two about cars and certainly doesn't mind getting her hands dirty, though, so she's more than happy to lend a hand. After all, she taught my how to drive my Falcon!!

See you guys Saturday!

J

BrianJ
September 15th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone ..... I'm keeping my eye/s on the weather for this coming Saturday ... if possible, I'd like to stop by for a little while to meet with you and check it out. I would want to ride my 63 Futura Conv. which has no top... so the rain is my master...

I heard mention in this thread about the ' black goo ' .. if I'm following correctly, I think you guys are referring to the factory sound/rust proofing material... it is rough to get off the sheet metal ... unless ... you warm it up by running a flame from a propane torch across the top surface. Once you do this, it will come off as effortlessly as peanut butter... it's like night and day compared to scraping it off as is... I ought to know ... I've been a prospector for floorboards in my old Fords for years... I'm still trying to strike it rich someday.

Have a great week folks ................ Brian

Luva65wagon
September 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Larry, Just bring your hand-tools. You can bring the welder if you want, but we're not likely to use it.

Joanna -- FRACTURED HAND! :WHATTHE: Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Mom's are always welcomed.

Time- Yeah, 9AM is a good start time. Right Gene?

Brian, Hope you can make it.

To all those that can make it -- looking forward to it. To all that have other plans, hope to see you the next time 'round. [thumb]

BillP 98201
September 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Of course I have to work, but will be glad to lend a hand during my break.
Any one have use for an engine analyzer?

Rustorod
September 15th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Sorry I missed the last meeting but excited for another Tech Day. I will be there at 9 to help in any way I can. Can only stay half a day. See you there.

SmithKid
September 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I was reminded to post directions to my house, so here goes:

From I-5, take 526 toward Boeing/Mukilteo.

Take 1st exit (Evergreen Way) and go N on Evergreen Way.

Immediately go to Left lane and turn L (W) at 79th (1st Stop Light).

Go 1 block and bear R onto Beverly, but use L turn lane (W) onto Barbara.

At end of Barbara (1 Block) you will be on the E side of a circle. My home is on W side of circle on E side of street.

My address is:
7923 W. Glen Dr.
Everett 98203

GoogleMaps.com and mapquest.com both show good maps to my home.

Looking forward to seeing many of you. We had a great time last tech day. 9:00 AM is as good a time as any to start. I'll be out there getting ready before that, I'm sure. Anyone that has a pop-up might want to bring it, as there is a possibility of rain showers. My pop-up will be available.
Gene

redfalken
September 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Forecast looks like it might get rainy Saturday morning, at least for now. Do we still have access to that tent?

redfalken
September 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Oops! Didn't read Gene's reply all the way through. I guess if we only have one tent we could rotate cars. Looks like it's an 80% chance of rain Saturday morning. But you never know! :rolleyes:

SmithKid
September 18th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Kenny,
Yes, my pop-up will be here and available. As requested earlier, anyone that has a pop-up, please bring it.
Gene

Luva65wagon
September 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, if it is raining too hard tomorrow morning I'll probably leave my wagon at home, since I'm not having anything done to it -- unless someone who is coming needs to see something in it. Gene maybe?

pbrown
September 18th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'll be there but will be late. I hope to be there at around 10:30 AM.

pbrown
September 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
It was great seeing everyone again. The day was wet but still fun.

We were finally able to wrap up Gene's shaved door kit. That's a neat gadget. It was fun getting four wires in those door looms.

Two cars got new dual circuit master cylinders.

SmithKid
September 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I see that Pat has already left a comment regarding out Tech Day today.. I was one of the beneficiaries of today's get together. Several people worked on my shaved door kit: mainly Roger, Pat and Andy. An addition was suggested and implemented by Roger that allows the doors to be opened electrically from the inside using the normal door handles and the remote fob works as advertised. It is a VERY cool modification. I also was one of the ones that got a new dual circuit master cylinder installed in my car. Another was done also. This is a great modification to our cars that the club has recently adopted. The club is supplying the parts needed to modify a car, excluding the master cylinder itself and the brake fluid. What a worthwhile mod! We enjoyed a nice lunch of Pizza & sodas and conducted a mini-meeting on the patio. All in all, a very enjoyable and productive day. Thanks to all who came and either participated or just hung out! I'm looking forward to the next one and hope that I can participate in every Tech Day the club has.
Gene

redfalken
September 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM
We got a lot done today! And the rain held off until we were almost done. Good timing!

Did anyone get pictures! I brought my camera but totally forgot. If someone has a few for the newsletter send them my way.

Looking forward to the next one!

SmithKid
September 19th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I forgot to mention in my previous post, that someone left a very nice water bottle at the Tech Day today. It is a clear bottle with a black top and is full of something that I am assuming is water. Let me know who belongs to it so you can be re-united.
Gene

Luva65wagon
September 19th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Of course I'm a bit late getting to my 'puter to log a post, but I can echo the sentiments already mentioned -- good day getting lots done.

I really like how Gene's doors came out. I was a bit giddy there for a moment and let my inner kid out -- sorry about that guys. That was not supposed to happen in public. [yay]

Gene and Joanna got the dual MC swaps, both without a hitch. Of course Gene has yet to test his and Joanna's Mom felt everything was all-good 'cause she got to drive the car with Joanna is a cast of sorts. And Joanna got her e-brake adjusted where the previous "mechanics" said a cable was broken and needed to be replaced (more bucks) and there was nothing but the threaded rod needing to be cleaned and the cables adjusted.

All in all, I think we're all feeling it went well. Thanks for all the help people, and see you all next time, which I think we've all decided will be to assist Gary do his engine swap. This will be over a couple days giving more a chance to come on either day they can.

And the water bottle isn't mine. :D

JLP1977
September 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hi, guys! Thanks again SO MUCH for all the attention you gave me and my Falcon on Saturday! Martha just keeps getting better and better. And I even got to tighten some bolts this time!

My mom and I were really glad to be there and Moses got a kick out of meeting everyone.

I'm actually in Germany right now, but wanted to log on and say THANKS!

See everyone at the next meeting!

J

BadBird
September 21st, 2009, 09:36 AM
It really was an interesting day. [thumb] I enjoyed the work and getting to know everyone better. Attending the tech day is a great way to learn new techniques and get some work done on the vehicles. I am looking forward to the next one. Also a great way to hold a regular meeting.
Gene, I left a yellow flashlight with a black strap somewhere in your garage. If you find it and can remember to bring it to the next meeting? If you don't find it, or remember, it isn't a huge loss.
I am very impressed with the knowledge that some of you have of the Falcons and all of the systems. [BOW]
I will be shooting basecoat and clear in the engine bay, on lower sides of hood and trunk, door frames, dash and interior of doors and other parts this week. I will send pictures soon. See you all at the next meeting if not before. Larry

SmithKid
September 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I haven't come across a yellow flashlight yet. Maybe someone else has it? Will keep looking.

Someone left a step drill (3/16 - 1/2). Who belongs to it?

Gene

pbrown
September 29th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Someone left a step drill (3/16 - 1/2). Who belongs to it?

That is probably mine. I'll look in my drill case. It could also be Rogers.

Luva65wagon
September 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I didn't bring mine, so it must be yours Patrick.

redfalken
September 29th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Oh yea...Roger...I think I have your spark plug socket. Hope it's not your one and only!! :eek:

Luva65wagon
September 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I've got so many I wouldn't have known I was ever missing it -- and am not sure it's mine if I saw it. If it came out of my red toolbox that day, then it would be. No rush getting it back to me or anything.

SmithKid
October 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM
If you were at the last Tech Day, would you please check your toolbox to see if you have an extra 1/4" drive Craftsman ratchet? Mine is either lost or hiding from me. Thanks, Gene

Rustorod
October 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I checked my tool bag and I didn't have a 1/4" ratchet. Sorry. Hope you find it.

Luva65wagon
October 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'll have a look in my tool box that I brought tomorrow. Since I own a least three of them, I'll know if I find a forth it's probably yours. :)

Rustorod
October 18th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Just testing to see if my picture is working

erievon
October 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I finally got my 65 falcon ranchero home from my brothers house from lacey. Just need to get the brakes bleed and i can finally come out to the meets and meet all you guys. I do have some extra parts ill be looking to get ride of but will post them another time, need to go thru what i have in my boxes. I seem to live really close to you. I would say a few blocks if that. Im over by Bobbies the hawaiian burger on Evergreen Way.

Maurice

Luva65wagon
October 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Maurice,

We're all over the place here, but Gene, where this tech meeting was held, is in your neck of the woods. There are a few more of us more north than south. Our next tech day may get scheduled tomorrow, so hope you can make it to the meeting. If not, keep your eye out for an upcoming meeting.

SmithKid
November 9th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Roger, If you look to the NW this evening you'll probably see a dull rosy glow in the sky. It will be from the bright reddish glow on my face. I finally got a chance to spend some time in the garage today and guess what I found tucked away under the RR wheel dolly. My 1/4" ratchet. Sorry! I thought I had looked all over the floor and drawers for it, but I missed it. I will return your ratchet at the next meeting unless you need it sooner.
Gene

Luva65wagon
November 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Well Gene, I think I can hold off until I see you next -- since I have 4 others. ;)

Jeff W
February 4th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I have used rebuilt M/C without problems for years. I did buy one from Rockauto for the Convertible and noticed the threads were so worn out (rusted horribly then blasted away) it wouldn't hold the tube nut (on the end of the brake line) when I tightened it. I called Rockauto and told them my story. They sent a replacement next day and told me to dispose of the defective one.

The M/C I just bought for the Wagon is a rebuilt from Rockauto. I certainly don't have a problem with a rebuilt.

Okay... the rebuilt M/C I bought from RockAuto last fall, installed last month and taken on the road for the first time today... is leaking fluid out the push rod hole. :bicker: I stand corrected.

Glad I don't have carpet yet.

Jay Baker
September 24th, 2012, 07:51 AM
If there was a tech day on the 19th, will there actually be a meeting the 26th ? Jay

Luva65wagon
September 24th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Jay, this thread it is a couple years old.

I was out of town last week and the meeting was pushed out one-week to the 26th. So, yes, the meeting is this Wednesday the 26th of September, 2012.

:D