Thread: Reconstruction has begun.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Got a bunch done over the holiday's. Here where she is now.
    Sandblasted the entire car. (6hrs)
    Removed side panels, and anything else to clean out the last of the rust.
    Hopefully I can run it down to the shop one more time for a final blasting before starting the reassembly of all the sheet metal. Couple of suprises but all in all it was what I was expecting but not hoping for.
    Anyway here are a few pics and I will keep you posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reconstruction has begun.

Man that looks familiar. I sandblasted my Futura myself and that was one of the dirtiest jobs I ever tackled. Think I would pay someone if I did it again. I am not sure if I understand the powder coat primer issue. Can you explain it further. I can't see how to use powder coat for primer when it will be necessary to block sand almost all the primer to get the body straight and apply filler if/as required. Good luck with everything and I enjoy the pics on your progress. Larry

It's looking good - and naked. Keep us posted on the progress. It's fun to read about. Especialy when my garage is too cold to work in.

I share Larry's concirn with the powder coating primer. I would wipe it all down with wax a grease remover and get a coat of PPG DPLF on all exposed metal. Then start and repairs and/or fabrication. All of the fillers I've used specify that they be applies on properly prepared bare metal. The usually means that you strip the area of the repair prior to mixing the filler. Then reapply good epoxy over the repair to keep moisture out.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Sure is going to look purty when you're done.
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe

The powder primer is basically the same as a sealer primer to keep everything from rusting up again. The Cardinal Powders rep told me to scuff the surface to about 80 grit and apply the body filler the same as if on the bare metal. He said they have had excellent results doing this. He told me that Caterpillar and John Deer are doing this process now. I will keep you posted on my results. I have the doors and hood in primer now. The advantage to the powder that he (Clint) explained was the powder is bonded to the metal, so unless I take it off no rust or anything else will damage it.
    Like I said it is a new process to me and I will let you know how it goes, good or bad.
    I am glad you guys are enjoying the pics. I am more concerned that I was boring people to death. I will start the next part which is sheet metal replacement. Thanks for all the advise and I will keep it coming. Steve

For sure, keep up the posts. We don't bore easily. Glad you've got a warm place to work. It's still colder in my garage than it is outside.

I was going to suggest you ought to remove the front splash shields, but it appears by the last picture you had already. Seems you have some rust-out in the cowl too. Have you ever considered investing in one of those metal sprayers for your shop? It would be perfect for those thinned areas. Maybe an investment you can write-off your taxes for work -- and use it on the car where it got a little thin. Those look to be pretty cool when I see their demonstation at the swap meets.

The thing that amazes me is how easy it would be to make a clone Sedan Delivery from any tudor wagon. Maybe someday when I get tired of having a wagon I'll do that. OK, maybe not.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"