Thread: Reconstruction has begun.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I spoke with my powder supplier and he gave me powders that are being used specifically for under automotive type paints. He said they have had good results and with powder it seals and bonds to the metal. He said I can do my body work and any other primers and paints right over the top. Hopefully it will work as good as he says. Time will tell...

I did a lot of powder coating on mine. I'm sure you will to being in the business.

Things I coated include bumper brackets, tow loops, headlight buckets, hood hinges, splash shields, suspension parts (not springs), fender support brackets, engine block, and timing cover. I'm sure I'm missing something.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Most definitely!! I plan on powder coating the whole car. At least the base under the paint. But any brackets ,pulleys, mounts, even the springs will get the treatment. I am powdering the doors, and hood tomorrow, as well as the hood springs and latches. I'll bring the fenders down next week and see how bad those are?!? I put up some more pics when I get those done.

Got a bunch done over the holiday's. Here where she is now.
    Sandblasted the entire car. (6hrs)
    Removed side panels, and anything else to clean out the last of the rust.
    Hopefully I can run it down to the shop one more time for a final blasting before starting the reassembly of all the sheet metal. Couple of suprises but all in all it was what I was expecting but not hoping for.
    Anyway here are a few pics and I will keep you posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reconstruction has begun.

Man that looks familiar. I sandblasted my Futura myself and that was one of the dirtiest jobs I ever tackled. Think I would pay someone if I did it again. I am not sure if I understand the powder coat primer issue. Can you explain it further. I can't see how to use powder coat for primer when it will be necessary to block sand almost all the primer to get the body straight and apply filler if/as required. Good luck with everything and I enjoy the pics on your progress. Larry

It's looking good - and naked. Keep us posted on the progress. It's fun to read about. Especialy when my garage is too cold to work in.

I share Larry's concirn with the powder coating primer. I would wipe it all down with wax a grease remover and get a coat of PPG DPLF on all exposed metal. Then start and repairs and/or fabrication. All of the fillers I've used specify that they be applies on properly prepared bare metal. The usually means that you strip the area of the repair prior to mixing the filler. Then reapply good epoxy over the repair to keep moisture out.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Sure is going to look purty when you're done.
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe